Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8
Like Tree54Likes

Uber's Big American Ego...

From a car next door review I found browsing the available cars.

For piece of mind we called ‘car next door to ask for advice’. They rudely advised. ‘ its not the end of the world and anything that happens to the car whilst i was driving was my responsibility and i would either have to call the RACV or take it to a garage and get it repaired at my expense!
    Who doesn't want to fix somebody else's car at one's own expense for $55 a day + $0.50 per kilometer. Why use a proper rental company when you can get a filthy piece of shit from a "real person"

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    From a car next door review

Who doesn't want to fix a somebody else's car at one's own expense for $55 a day + $0.50 per kilometer. Why use a proper rental company when you can get a filthy piece of shit from a "real person"
    I've only very recently heard about car next door and neither praising it or trashing it. But definitely an interesting business model. Just like airbnb taking away business from hotels, this would appear to be competing with rental car companies. But a real advantage with car next door being the cars should be available close by in your street/neighbourhood so easier to grab for a few hours here and there.

If anything happens the car whilst driving it, well regardless of whether its a rental or a private 'car next door' you are going to be inconvenienced either way.

With a rental you usually have comprehensive insurance and mechanical faults aren't your problem either. A proper rental company will also arrange a replacement rather quick and usually has cleanish cars.

The biggest problem with the sharing economy is that the price difference doesn't make up for the difference in product quality. $55 + $0.45 per km isn't cheap for a medium sized car and neither are most Airbnb) But maybe their clientele doesn't expect clean cars, clean flats, proper service or a complaint procedure that isn't rage inducing as long as it's from a "real person" with "authentic stories" or whatever.

MandM! likes this.

generally i think u can rent car at that base price, the cost escalate when you add the assistance and insurance that give u better peace of mind..

but i think it is interesting, the only problem is how ppl view their cars.. if they view it as a 'personalized asset' then it might not be workable.. but if they treat this as a 'fungible tool', then it probably will work.

er2

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    WeWork really is a pile of shit. While I think Tesla and Uber are grossly overvalued, WeWork takes the biscuit on the insanity front.

Good to see Uber and Tesla getting smashed in the markets recently. I think WeWork will struggle to list personally.
    Beg to differ. At their valuation, I wouldn’t put a dime of my money into their business - probably not even if the valuation was down to 10% of what it is now. But their product is good. Meanwhile, AirBNB might be profitable, but as more and more cities realize that their residents are the ones paying for AirBnBs profits, they might think twice. Turning residential housing stock into cheap tourist accommodation is just leeching of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Car next door say they have insurance for every single trip and everyone is covered. They have done it the legal way. Even government departments and motoring bodies are praising the service and claim it has benefits like reducing the overall number of cars registered and better for people to share. The sharing economy is fully embraced in Australia now, even walking through a shopping mall you will see information desks and sign posts that point you to UBER and OLA stands as well as the old fashion taxi stands. Only HK that is so far behind.

With car next door, the car owners need to register their vehicle, cars are fitted with GPS trackers etc, the car keys are in some kind of pouch or something that hangs on the outside of the car. The car owners don't need to be at home or whatever to handover keys etc to the renters at the time. You are right that there needs to be enough cars available otherwise it's pointless, but it seems to have built up traction and obtained this now, with over 300,000 trips taken now.
    This sounds like ZipCar, which I used more than 10 years ago when I lived in the states. It's great because if you are in a city, you can borrow a car for an hour or longer if needed. And they have a range of cars, and the city gives premium parking spaces for the cars. Buying something and need a truck, you can use zipcar.

Would I want to rent out my car on a car sharing service, heck no. You have no idea if someone screws up the engine and its difficult to prove. If the engine suddenly dies after 1-2 years, who is responsible for that, when the car should have lasted a long longer.

Airbnb also has similar issues, from a host standpoint, with guests putting extra wear on the home, and its difficult to fully check the home for any major damages that may have occurred from a guest.
    huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2
    Beg to differ. At their valuation, I wouldn’t put a dime of my money into their business - probably not even if the valuation was down to 10% of what it is now. But their product is good.
    Tesla product is good too. Many people like and use Uber also. It is important not to confuse a good product and a good investment! Customers are often happy if the company is subsiding their product and selling it below economic value.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    With a rental you usually have comprehensive insurance and mechanical faults aren't your problem either. A proper rental company will also arrange a replacement rather quick and usually has cleanish cars.

The biggest problem with the sharing economy is that the price difference doesn't make up for the difference in product quality. $55 + $0.45 per km isn't cheap for a medium sized car and neither are most Airbnb) But maybe their clientele doesn't expect clean cars, clean flats, proper service or a complaint procedure that isn't rage inducing as long as it's from a "real person" with "authentic stories" or whatever.
    I don't disagree with any of your points. But there are a couple of nice features of something like car next door that make it interesting and differentiate it from a traditional car rental, that might just make it successful. ie, being able to walk to a car that is in your street/area rather than having to drive or catch a bus to a car rental company that is usually not so many. Also the idea of being able to borrow for just a few hours and pay $6 per hour to go to the shops and back for example, something that you would not do with a typicial rental car that charges by the day (and again need to catch a bus or something to get to in the first place). You are right that $55 a day doesn't look that great, but $6 per hour if you just need to nip out, there might be a market for this kind of thing and it might make a few people question if they really need to own a car.
    mrgoodkat and UK/HKboy like this.

Car next door say they have insurance for every single trip and everyone is covered. They have done it the legal way. Even government departments and motoring bodies are praising the service and claim it has benefits like reducing the overall number of cars registered and better for people to share. The sharing economy is fully embraced in Australia now, even walking through a shopping mall you will see information desks and sign posts that point you to UBER and OLA stands as well as the old fashion taxi stands. Only HK that is so far behind.

With car next door, the car owners need to register their vehicle, cars are fitted with GPS trackers etc, the car keys are in some kind of pouch or something that hangs on the outside of the car. The car owners don't need to be at home or whatever to handover keys etc to the renters at the time. You are right that there needs to be enough cars available otherwise it's pointless, but it seems to have built up traction and obtained this now, with over 300,000 trips taken now.
    Pretty sure warranties are void though.

I don't disagree with any of your points. But there are a couple of nice features of something like car next door that make it interesting and differentiate it from a traditional car rental, that might just make it successful. ie, being able to walk to a car that is in your street/area rather than having to drive or catch a bus to a car rental company that is usually not so many. Also the idea of being able to borrow for just a few hours and pay $6 per hour to go to the shops and back for example, something that you would not do with a typicial rental car that charges by the day (and again need to catch a bus or something to get to in the first place). You are right that $55 a day doesn't look that great, but $6 per hour if you just need to nip out, there might be a market for this kind of thing and it might make a few people question if they really need to own a car.
    This would be perfect in Hong Kong. I don't want to pay for a parking space and for a car when I may only use it a few times a year.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8