Like Tree58Likes

Mong Kok pedestrian zone to be scrapped after complaints about street performers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mong Kok pedestrian zone to be scrapped after complaints about street performers

Sai Yeung Choi Street to be reopened to traffic...

Hong Kong pedestrian zone to be scrapped after more than 1,000 complaints about Mong Kok street performers | South China Morning Post

The Mong Kok pedestrian zone scheme was launched in 2000. It closed Sai Yeung Choi Street South and sections of other nearby roads to traffic to boost shopping and other commercial activity in the busy downtown district.
    But in 2013 the government restricted the scheme to just weekends and public holidays at the request of Yau Tsim Mong District Council after residents complained about noise and safety issues.
    In 2016 the issue of unlicensed hawkers on nearby Portland Street became a flashpoint for a riot in Mong Kok.
    On Thursday Chan said the council would meet next week to end the pedestrian zone indefinitely because the problems had worsened.
    JaredHK likes this.

As usual, a few whingers ruin things for everyone. I cannot believe it's even possible to get a car down that street in peak weekend shopping time. The pavements are not wide enough for all the people! But I do agree, the performers who take up the whole street so you still cannot pass, and the idiot PCCW and their ilk blocking the pavement are very annoying. But having a few entertainers makes the whole place more fun. And cars are just not necessary.

Great News !!!

Pidaras likes this.

So if the buskers and singers noise is the problem, why not just forbid loud performances; no need to get rid of the pedestrian zone!

I like how you pointed out PCCW in general. I guess that means the idea of the green pedestrian zone in central will never happen.

I prefer the buskers over traffic, but have to say that a lot of those loudspeaker-equipped buskers were truly atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    So if the buskers and singers noise is the problem, why not just forbid loud performances; no need to get rid of the pedestrian zone!
    Agreed but the govt doesnt want to police it. It would be like the mobile shops that just move when the police come then back in biz when the police move into the next street.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I prefer the buskers over traffic, but have to say that a lot of those loudspeaker-equipped buskers were truly atrocious.
    I humbly propose something completely innovative - create a standards body for buskers and hold quarterly auditions.

(Was thinking food trucks ... why not move a few of them there permanently and just ban the buskers)
    TheBrit, timonoj, spode and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I humbly propose something completely innovative - create a standards body for buskers and hold quarterly auditions.

(Was thinking food trucks ... why not move a few of them there permanently and just ban the buskers)
    When I used to live in the UK, I was told that in order to use the busking areas in Tube stations, performers had to apply for a permit which included an audition. Thus ensuring that the quality of busking was maintained.

OMG, they should make a TV show out of the auditions selection, ala The Voice or something...

civil_servant, spode and shri like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast