Like Tree33Likes

Hong Kong’s Immigration Dept. issues visas for same-sex spouses ahead of top court challenge

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I've always said - if the applicant's home country issues a marriage cert, the IMMD should accept it, like they do right now. The layer of vetting / figuring out if the cert is legit is no different from the current.

If the applicants are not able to produce a legal document recognising them as being married - their fight begins and ends with their home country, not a HK/China issue. Yes, I'm aware of common law issues, but this would be a face saving start.
    Unfortunately it really is a domestic policy issue. If Hong Kong wants to attract the best talent it shouldn't have daft policies about who can be classified as married or not based on early 20c puritanicalism.

It would be interesting to see what the pro-authoritarian posters think about this hostile approach of the government towards LGBTQIA communities when most developed societies are becoming more liberal.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    What about registered partnership? In some countries you can choose between marriage and registered partnership. Similar rights in those countries but I’m sure HK would exclude the latter if they can.
    Baby steps?
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

had to google WTF is LGBTQIA lol I knew what LGBT was but 1st time seeing a longer version

for anyone else that doesnt know https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/LGBTQIA

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    What will happen to these couple when the mainland puts an end to 一国两制 and takes over for good in 30 years (or earlier)?
    The mainland may recognize same-sex marriage before HK does - who knows. Unless Taiwan recognizes first, then the mainland might say no just as a reflexive reaction

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It would be interesting to see what the pro-authoritarian posters think about this hostile approach of the government towards LGBTQIA communities when most developed societies are becoming more liberal.
    I told you already, there are few pro-authoritarian posters on here. Have a good day troll.

People like Carrie Lam herself, most of the pro-Beijing camp along with their Beijing masters are openly hateful of LGBT, so I think the chances of this verdict holding are slim at best unfortunately.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I told you already, there are few pro-authoritarian posters on here. Have a good day troll.
    It was a genuine question. Is there an official policy that should be followed?
    TheBrit likes this.

LGBT advocates slam government for staying silent on interim scheme that lets same-sex spouses work and study in Hong Kong
    Hong Kong LGBT rights advocates are slamming the Immigration Department for keeping mum on a special arrangement that allows same-sex spouses to work and study in the city – a scheme that has been in place for months but remains largely unknown to the public.