Like Tree121Likes

Edward Leung get 6 years for being at the Mong Kok riot

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8Y6uPH-R4

Damien "Football" Williams was senteced to 10 years for rioting (Rodney King riots) but served only about 4. I don't think Leung did anything as violent as what happened in other parts of the world. But this is HK. Leung also attacked 5-0, which is a no-no anyone should know. The courts have decided and the people need to respect the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8Y6uPH-R4Damien "Football" Williams was senteced to 10 years for rioting (Rodney King riots) but served only about 4. I don't think Leung did anything as violent as what happened in other parts of the world. But this is HK. Leung also attacked 5-0, which is a no-no anyone should know. The courts have decided and the people need to respect the decision.
    The people can respect the decision but can also question it - it is within their rights. Although I know CS probably think we don't need these rights. Questioning and debating isn't against the law as far as I am aware and blind acceptance of the law (be it here or anywhere else) isn't always the best way.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    So you don't not believe government policy should be questioned - EVER?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    yes. Let’s just accept your fate and don’t even try.

witth that logic blacks and women in the US wouldn’t vote, apartheid would still be there. Etc etc. you probably wouldn’t even be allowed to work in HK etc etc. Wow just wow . Pause for a sec and think of what u wrote.

I think there are many things that we should try to do.
    e.g. try to get a pardon for Edward Snowden for he is doing something right for the world and for US citizen
    get France/UK/US penalized for bombing syria
    get the wikileak chap out of the international warrant on him that has no court basis

These are the real hypocritical human rights issue that we should be fighting for. Abuse of authority by some countries that claim to respect human rights.

Leung was put on a public trial that was scrutinized over the last few months.
    You can judge that the sentencing is harsh, but the verdict of rioting was given by a jury with at least a 7-2 majority (or more) via an established process of jury selection. It is not done by the executive arm of the countries stated above for some ignored act of violating human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I think there are many things that we should try to do.e.g. try to get a pardon for Edward Snowden for he is doing something right for the world and for US citizenget France/UK/US penalized for bombing syria get the wikileak chap out of the international warrant on him that has no court basisThese are the real hypocritical human rights issue that we should be fighting for. Abuse of authority by some countries that claim to respect human rights.Leung was put on a public trial that was scrutinized over the last few months. You can judge that the sentencing is harsh, but the verdict of rioting was given by a jury with at least a 7-2 majority (or more) via an established process of jury selection. It is not done by the executive arm of the countries stated above for some ignored act of violating human rights.
    Why select?

Questioning and debating isn't against the law.
    Debating has a pro and a con stance. Nobody is holding you back from expressing your views. Your claim that it is against the law is ridiculous.

If it's an echo chamber you're after I suggest you avoid a public forum.

Why select?
    it appears that's how many of the guys around here are behaving. anything that deals with the HK Govt or CCP related seems a violation of rights of the people..

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Debating has a pro and a con stance. Nobody is holding you back from expressing your views. Your claim that it is against the law is ridiculous. If it's an echo chamber you're after I suggest you avoid a public forum.
    Lol

it appears that's how many of the guys around here are behaving. anything that deals with the HK Govt or CCP related seems a violation of rights of the people..
    Honest question, so despite much evidence to the contrary you are convinced HK's rule of law has not detoriated when compared to, say 1998?

Saying that 6 years seems on the high side isn't saying that it is a violation of people's right.I think the issue is that CS (and some other posters on the other side of the fence as well) have too extreme position and feel the need to defend (one way or the other).Some stuff the gvt/justice do is, in my humble opinion, right and some stuffs they do is sometimes not, in my humble opinion, in the best interests of many people of HK.The issue is for CS, everything the gvt do is right and for some other posters on here, everything the gvt do is wrong.I don't think I fall in any of these categories but it is very very difficult to debate with both types of people as they will go to great great length just to prove they are right.

Saying that 6 years seems on the high side isn't saying that it is a violation of people's right.I think the issue is that CS (and some other posters on the other side of the fence as well) have too extreme position and feel the need to defend (one way or the other).Some stuff the gvt/justice do is, in my humble opinion, right and some stuffs they do is sometimes not, in my humble opinion, in the best interests of many people of HK.The issue is for CS, everything the gvt do is right and for some other posters on here, everything the gvt do is wrong.I don't think I fall in any of these categories but it is very very difficult to debate with both types of people as they will go to great great length just to prove they are right.
    Lol. Agreeing with a court decision is not an extreme position. I think you've lost sense of reality. I also suggested he should appeal. Are you done making straw men?

Let's backtrack.

He had 4 charges in total, assaulting a cop, incitement of rioting, and 2 charges for rioting.

He pleaded guilty for assaulting a cop, apologised, and received a 1 year jail term.
    He pleaded not guilty for incitement and got cleared on that one.
    He pleased not guilty to rioting, hence he did not apologise, was found guilty by a jury and received 6 years based on past judgements.

Rioting in Hong Kong has harsh punishment. So does growing a Cannabis plant. Don't engage in either.

Do I agree someone should be severely punished for growing a cannabis plant? No. Will my believe affect my outcome in a Hong Kong court if found guilty of growing a cannabis plant? No.

Thank you.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 14-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast