Like Tree121Likes

Edward Leung get 6 years for being at the Mong Kok riot

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Lol. Agreeing with a court decision is not an extreme position. I think you've lost sense of reality. I also suggested he should appeal. Are you done making straw men?Let's backtrack. He had 4 charges in total, assaulting a cop, incitement of rioting, and 2 charges for rioting.He pleaded guilty for assaulting a cop, apologised, and received a 1 year jail term.He pleaded not guilty for incitement and got cleared on that one.He pleased not guilty to rioting, hence he did not apologise, was found guilty by a jury and received 6 years based on past judgements.Rioting in Hong Kong has harsh punishment. So does growing a Cannabis plant. Don't engage in either.Do I agree someone should be severely punished for growing a cannabis plant? No. Will my believe affect my outcome in a Hong Kong court if found guilty of growing a cannabis plant? No. Thank you.
    Yadayadyada - as usual.Must be hard to live a perfect life all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Yadayadyada - as usual.Must be hard to live a perfect life all the time.
    Last night my wife said it was a 10/10.

Spot on take on the matter in today's Biglychee:

It was King and Gandhi’s fault | Big Lychee, Various Sectors

drumbrake and jaykay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Saying that 6 years seems on the high side isn't saying that it is a violation of people's right.I think the issue is that CS (and some other posters on the other side of the fence as well) have too extreme position and feel the need to defend (one way or the other).Some stuff the gvt/justice do is, in my humble opinion, right and some stuffs they do is sometimes not, in my humble opinion, in the best interests of many people of HK.The issue is for CS, everything the gvt do is right and for some other posters on here, everything the gvt do is wrong.I don't think I fall in any of these categories but it is very very difficult to debate with both types of people as they will go to great great length just to prove they are right.
    so we are all arguing for the sake of argument where u guys are pin-pointing at someone and i am just burning time then.. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Honest question, so despite much evidence to the contrary you are convinced HK's rule of law has not detoriated when compared to, say 1998?
    i didn't say the rule of law did not change in hk. i am not in a position to judge that. but what i am saying is the rule of law has changed everywhere in the world these days including US/UK and I would think some of the supposedly democratic countries, in name of preventing terrorism or treson or whatever else they are doing, that the changes in hk seems minor since at least they do it in public, and not based on absolute executive authority.

Lol. Agreeing with a court decision is not an extreme position. I think you've lost sense of reality. I also suggested he should appeal. Are you done making straw men?

Let's backtrack.

He had 4 charges in total, assaulting a cop, incitement of rioting, and 2 charges for rioting.

He pleaded guilty for assaulting a cop, apologised, and received a 1 year jail term.
    He pleaded not guilty for incitement and got cleared on that one.
    He pleased not guilty to rioting, hence he did not apologise, was found guilty by a jury and received 6 years based on past judgements.

Rioting in Hong Kong has harsh punishment. So does growing a Cannabis plant. Don't engage in either.

Do I agree someone should be severely punished for growing a cannabis plant? No. Will my believe affect my outcome in a Hong Kong court if found guilty of growing a cannabis plant? No.

Thank you.
    Again the issue is not that he was found guilty of rioting. This was the charge the executive branch of government choose and the courts assessed the case based on the evidence. He was guilty of being at a riot.

The key area of discussion has been the surprise at the severity of the sentence. There probably are very valid reasons why in this case, with this particular judge, this particular defendant and the particular evidence a heavy sentence was given.

I understand that you have posted comparison to sentences where the severity and the involvement of the guilty parties appeared much much higher but if you looked at similar cases at the exact same event then a more likely sentence would of been 2 years perhaps 4 years could of been expected.

Again there may be reasons and yes he is free to appeal but I am still personally of the view that 6 years seemed a very harsh sentence but the judge obviously had more insight.

I am still waiting on your view on whether pro-authoritarians who as an assembled group breached the peace (a riot) should also be brought before the courts as it seems they have not. Or do you believe the law should not be applied equally?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    i didn't say the rule of law did not change in hk. i am not in a position to judge that. but what i am saying is the rule of law has changed everywhere in the world
    This makes no sense. You can't say if the rule of law has changed where you live but you can say it has changed where you don't live. I am confused
    TheBrit and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I am still waiting on your view on whether pro-authoritarians who as an assembled group breached the peace (a riot) should also be brought before the courts as it seems they have not. Or do you believe the law should not be applied equally?
    What are you referring to?

What are you referring to?
    The rule of law

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The rule of law
    I mean, what group? Do you have a news report?

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast