Like Tree121Likes

Edward Leung get 6 years for being at the Mong Kok riot

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Aside from North Korea and perhaps Iran I'd think the exact opposite...
    Really? I also don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that in most other jurisdictions worldwide you'd at least get years behind bars for assaulting the police with a 'wooden board'...

I think a bit of pushing and shoving would probably get you a fine or 6 months... hitting with a board....?

What are the penalties for assaulting a cop in cities around the world?—Hopes&Fears
    civil_servant likes this.

Was just watching Sky News where the sentence of Edward Leung was brought up in the context of human rights abuses in North Korea. As in, it's starting in Hong Kong and nothing is said to China, not mentioning human rights abuses when dealing with major powers is standard.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The Guardian analysis shows that the average prison sentence handed out by the magistrates to rioters so far is five months dor 2011 riots

from
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...s-incident-map
    I don't understand why you're comparing the UK to HK... I know the HK law system is based on the UK's but the sentencing culture is quite different here, read harsher.

Lots of people go to jail in HK for offences that would attract community orders in the UK... and frankly speaking, I don't have a problem with it... sentencing seems about right to me here and seems to act as a suitable deterrent... On the other hand, I wouldn't want to see the silly US style sentencing here... HK seems to have it about right.

Note... this is not a commentary on my views about occupy... I support HK independence... but it ain't going to happen... I feel they failed because they were too passive... In my view, the authorities knew they were weak and crushed them... they had one chance and that was when 100k were on the street... they chose to make silly statements by doing homework and trotting off to school/work during the day... they should have sent half to C.Y. Leung's house and half to the airport and gone to war... all or nothing.

It's finished now... just move on or move out.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Really? I also don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that in most other jurisdictions worldwide you'd at least get years behind bars for assaulting the police with a 'wooden board'...

I think a bit of pushing and shoving would probably get you a fine or 6 months... hitting with a board....?
    3 and a half months if you use your breasts!

I don't understand why you're comparing the UK to HK... I know the HK law system is based on the UK's but the sentencing culture is quite different here, read harsher. Lots of people go to jail in HK for offences that would attract community orders in the UK... and frankly speaking, I don't have a problem with it... sentencing seems about right to me here and seems to act as a suitable deterrent... On the other hand, I wouldn't want to see the silly US style sentencing here... HK seems to have it about right.Note... this is not a commentary on my views about occupy... I support HK independence... but it ain't going to happen... I feel they failed because they were too passive... In my view, the authorities knew they were weak and crushed them... they had one chance and that was when 100k were on the street... they chose to make silly statements by doing homework and trotting off to school/work during the day... they should have sent half to C.Y. Leung's house and half to the airport and gone to war... all or nothing.It's finished now... just move on or move out.
    If not UK, not US, with which country do you want to compare?

If not UK, not US, with which country do you want to compare?
    To be honest, virtually any others... the UK and the US are what I would call sentencing extremists... the UK won't jail burglars until they've done it at least half a dozen times and then it would probably only be for a year or two... the US would lock them up for life at the third offence.

To be honest, virtually any others... the UK and the US are what I would call sentencing extremists... the UK won't jail burglars until they've done it at least half a dozen times and then it would probably only be for a year or two... the US would lock them up for life at the third offence.
    France, 5 years for assaulting cop.

Among those convicted was far-left activist Antonin Bernanos, 23, who was handed five years, which includes a two-year suspended sentence, for pummelling Philippy while he was still in the car.

"You attacked a policeman because he was a policeman," judge Alain Alcufrom told Bernanos.
    French police attackers get jail for torching squad car - France 24
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Clearly not the same level of violence at all....and he still get one year less than Leung so nice try but, failed.Not to mentioned that in France, he will do less if he shows good behavior. 3 =5 will easily become 4 if not a bit less.Try again.

Based on the link your provided:- Canada - up to 5 years- Japan - up to 3 yearsJust as example. So 6 years would seem on the high side.

Clearly not the same level of violence at all....and he still get one year less than Leung so nice try but, failed.Not to mentioned that in France, he will do less if he shows good behavior. 3 =5 will easily become 4 if not a bit less.Try again.
    Mat... listen, I'm being a good boy, so please be patient while I explain it to you politely.

I have to respect the fact that English isn't your first language.

Leung didn't get 6 years for assaulting police, he got 6 years for his part in the riot... the piece (in the OP) stated that his sentence for assault would run concurrent with the 6 years... I have no idea what the sentence for assaulting police was... it might have been 6 years or 6 months... I asked a question. Do you know the answer??

What follows then is his sentencing for his part in the riot... the judge has before him a man already in prison for assaulting a police officer with a piece of wood, (a convicted and violent offender), a man who was seen behaving violently on 11 separate occasions and repeatedly asked to leave.

But I know you just want to argue, so I'll leave it there.
    civil_servant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast