Like Tree121Likes

Edward Leung get 6 years for being at the Mong Kok riot

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    How does Edward Leung's crime and punishment compare to the Dark Corner gang mugging by the police?
    Police officers:

Cap. 212 Offences against the Person Ordinance

Wounding or inflicting grievous bodily harm
    Any person who unlawfully and maliciously wounds or inflicts any grievous bodily harm upon any other person, either with or without any weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of an offence triable upon indictment, and shall be liable to imprisonment for 3 years.

Edward Leung:

Cap. 245 Public Order Ordinance

Riot
    (1) When any person taking part in an assembly which is an unlawful assembly by virtue of section 18(1) commits a breach of the peace, the assembly is a riot and the persons assembled are riotously assembled. (Amended 31 of 1970 s. 12)
    (2) Any person who takes part in a riot shall be guilty of the offence of riot and shall be liable—
    (a) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for 10 years; and
    (b) on summary conviction, to a fine at level 2 and to imprisonment for 5 years.
    East_coast and SpeakCantonese like this.

Just you wait until the trial of the real bizarre polItically motivated offences of incitement to incite a public nuisance take place ... The 3 major law enforcement officers , the Sec for Justice (Ms Illegal Structures), the Commissioners for the ICAC and Police .. Act not as required for the public interest but for for the government and personal interest, covering up major crimes against the public interest and conspiring in the same .. Where are the prosecutions for Pandora Petrobras Hong Kong - The U$100 billion frauds to destroy the HK Environment !? See Public Accounts Committee PAC Reports 65 on the public condemnation of the government's 'appalling and inexcusable' conduct ... Why no prosecutions for wilful neglect and wilful misconduct constituting criminal misconduct in public office and conspiracy to cover up the same ? ... In Singapore the easily identifiable responsible persons, would have been given the option of resignation or suicide by lunchtime and arrest in the afternoon after such reports .. in Hong Kong what happened, nothing at all 2 years after the damming Reports 65 by the Director of Audit and the Public Accounts Committee ... The Bribery Ordinance found after HK appeal of Swire Sita Directors against cinviction for Bribery for 1 Billion a year Pataca Waste Contract of Macau, not to apply to bribes paid outside of HK ! Changes to Bribery Ordinance undertaken since then ... None !! Where is extradition agreement with Macau .. Nowhere !! .. Another Pay Off .. Where is the Rule of Law ... Silence is an affirmative act .. The horcrux of the judiciary is their compliant unctuous Total Silence

What about serial actually perverting crucial judicial reviews by deliberately having the wrong gravamen in each - wilfully designed to fail from the very beginning !! Thank you Director of Legal Aid ... Action taken none.

Rule of Law ... None

Last edited by Peter Reid; 12-06-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    East_coast and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Killing chicken to scare the monkeys is the expression CCP representatives are quite proud to publicize as a time-tested authoritarian deterrent against any dissent.

Regarding the sentence, any actual violence should be condemned, unless it was clearly in self defense.

In a society with rule-of-law rather than rule-by-law, any violence committed by the police, military or triad thugs hired by the gov't should be treated at least with equal severity. How does Edward Leung's crime and punishment compare to the Dark Corner gang mugging by the police?
    GBH carries a maximum sentence of 3 years
    Rioting carries a maximum sentence of 10 years (Didn't Chris Patten remove this for fear it would be abused only for it to be re-instated after the handover)

Again the sentence should reflect the severity of the crime. Kicking and beating a handcuffed person in a dark alley posting look-outs etc many would think should get a sentence at the very high end. Especially if you have a position of power and the training that the Police have. He had to go to the dark alley otherwise he would be resisting arrest. There is probably a harsher crime that could of be charged but wasn't.

Being present for a 1/4 of a riot but no evidence you did anything riotous some might expect a sentence at the lower end rather than the 2nd highest ever. There may be something I have missed here that the judge took into account that I can't find on the public record.
    Last edited by East_coast; 12-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I see. Thanks for clearing this up.

Harsh sentences (10 years) for rioting then. If you don't like harsh sentences, don't participate, walk away.
    I fully agree that people should walk away from a riot but it is hard to know about deterrent sentences when you are the first example being made.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I fully agree that people should walk away from a riot but it is hard to know about deterrent sentences when you are the first example being made.
    He could appeal his sentence. It could turn out to be a judgement along the lines that the first judge made the right call in calling for a strong deterrent, but let's reduce the sentence for Leung due to...

He could appeal his sentence. It could turn out to be a judgement along the lines that the first judge made the right call in calling for a strong deterrence, but let's reduce the sentence for Leung due to...
    I don't think he will appeal following the Thomas Au sentencing guideline and Geoffrey Ma's interpretation that it should apply to acts after the original event. Still it would not be possible to Edward Leung to of known what would happen in the future so still looks like retroactively applying the law. From the comments I have read about the sentencing most see it as harsh and only the most ardent pro-authoritarians have welcomed it. What do you think?

From a personal point of view I saw organised groups of blue ribbon supporter unlawfully assembled and certainly breaching the peace in a violent way. I guess if you believe that this type of offence should be punished harshly would you agree that pro-authoritarian protesters who engaged in unlawful assembly and breached the peace in a violent way should also be brought before the courts and treated in a similar way?
    TheBrit, Mefisto and spode like this.

Many HK people are scared of what's to come in 30 years snd don't want to be a part of China. Riots and unsettlement will only increse.

East_coast and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    Many HK people are scared of what's to come over the next 29 years and don't want to be a part of China. Riots and unsettlement will only increase.
    corrected it for you

He could appeal his sentence. It could turn out to be a judgement along the lines that the first judge made the right call in calling for a strong deterrent, but let's reduce the sentence for Leung due to...
    The law...requires context to be applied when sentencingClearly you chose to omit that (because it benefits your pro Beijing agenda) and clearly it means no interesting discussion on this topic can be had we someone like you.Enjoy your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    The law...requires context to be applied when sentencingClearly you chose to omit that (because it benefits your pro Beijing agenda) and clearly it means no interesting discussion on this topic can be had we someone like you.Enjoy your day.
    Context was applied. He was rioting, asked to leave, then kept on rioting.

I'm not pro-Beijing. I just don't like rioting.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast