View Poll Results: Should vaping be banned or Regulated?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is a free country let me do what I want

14 26.42%
  • It should be banned

11 20.75%
  • It should be regulated & taxed

20 37.74%
  • It should be regulated & taxed with higher taxes for certain flavours

2 3.77%
  • Stop with these questions

6 11.32%
Like Tree64Likes

Should Vaping be legalised?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    What's up, Britney?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    well the dumbos at Health Dept yesterday in Legco intimated that they wanted to tax iQos because it has tobacco content but not Ecigs - which caused a stir
    I have actually played around with my Heet stixx, the tobacco content is minimal.
    So same taxation as e-cigs would be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I have actually played around with my Heet stixx, the tobacco content is minimal.
    So same taxation as e-cigs would be fair.
    Health authorities: e-cigarettes contain more tar than ordinary cigarettes : The DONG-A ILBO
    Good luck – trust your health to Big Tobacco

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...-iqos-science/

iQos HEETS use RECON
    Recon is manipulated to be more addictive than ordinary tobacco by ammonia addition
    Jeffrey Wigand : WHO Report

Cigarettes Have to Be Labeled 'Deadly' and 'Addictive' Now | Time
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I suspect they meant additives / chemical content as opposed to flavor.
    No. I meant flavours.

The EU has banned flavoured cigarettes but everyone probably agrees bans don't work that well and encourage black market activity

Australia tax alcopops (sugary strong) higher as they were seen as a gateway drink.

If vaping can be used to help people get of the more dangerous cigarettes then great but nice flavoured products that entice people who wouldn't normally smoke should be taxed more heavily.

Banning flavoured tobacco makes some sense, because ending all tobacco smoking should be the ultimate objective. Flavouring can make tobacco more attractive to a subset of people.

Vaping is considered at least 95% less harmful than smoking tobacco by independent (i.e. without dodgy corporate ties) medical experts in Europe, although the tobacco lobby is doing their best to pervert that message.

If you kneecap vaping through excessive regulation while tobacco is still widely available you're only giving tobacco "life support" (while actually taking life away from those still smoking)

If already considered safe (GRAS) flavours make vaping more palatable to people who would otherwise be smoking I really don't see the point in punishing over their use. However, if there were to be any attempts at targetting minors specifically I would obviously support selective banning too.

The massive increase in sugar (also addictive substance) use over the last half century has been behind a silent but widespread epidemics of obesity and related health problems. Some sugar is nice, but taxing it at the source helps alleviate that man-made (or corporate-made) problem. Where the sugar taxes take effect, people are being slowly weaned off excess sugar. You could of course try banning sugar altogether (although e.g. tomatoes contain some sugar and nicotine...), but most people would probably side with harm reduction without complete elimination of the pleasure.

Alcopops are being tackled the same way. The healthier, safer alternatives are now also cheaper, thus more attractive.

If you make vaping less appealing and less available while tobacco is still being sold in every shop, well, you don't need to an einstein to know what the smokers will continue doing.

Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Banning flavoured tobacco makes some sense, because ending all tobacco smoking should be the ultimate objective. Flavouring can make tobacco more attractive to a subset of people.

Vaping is considered at least 95% less harmful than smoking tobacco by independent (i.e. without dodgy corporate ties) medical experts in Europe, although the tobacco lobby is doing their best to pervert that message.

If you kneecap vaping through excessive regulation while tobacco is still widely available you're only giving tobacco "life support" (while actually taking life away from those still smoking)

If already considered safe (GRAS) flavours make vaping more palatable to people who would otherwise be smoking I really don't see the point in punishing over their use. However, if there were to be any attempts at targetting minors specifically I would obviously support selective banning too.

The massive increase in sugar (also addictive substance) use over the last half century has been behind a silent but widespread epidemics of obesity and related health problems. Some sugar is nice, but taxing it at the source helps alleviate that man-made (or corporate-made) problem. Where the sugar taxes take effect, people are being slowly weaned off excess sugar. You could of course try banning sugar altogether (although e.g. tomatoes contain some sugar and nicotine...), but most people would probably side with harm reduction without complete elimination of the pleasure.

Alcopops are being tackled the same way. The healthier, safer alternatives are now also cheaper, thus more attractive.

If you make vaping less appealing and less available while tobacco is still being sold in every shop, well, you don't need to an einstein to know what the smokers will continue doing.
    You are completely right. Taxes need to be set to nudge people to do the 'right' thing. Plain vanilla vaping should be cheapest followed flavoured etc etc to apple flavoured slim cigarettes being the most expensive.

There is no perfect answer and there is no one size fits all solution.
    Morrison likes this.

Is prevalence of e-cigarette and nicotine replacement therapy use among smokers associated with average cigarette consumption in England? A time-series analysis | BMJ Open
    study of almost 200,000 adults
    E-cigs were not successful in reducing smoking prevalence when monitored over a long period of time
    simply They Do Not Work other than to keep people addicted

Relationship between trying an electronic cigarette and subsequent cigarette experimentation in Scottish adolescents: a cohort study | Tobacco Control
    Scottish cohort shows initiation

About BMJ

BMJ Industries is part of the BMJ group of companies, specializing in state of the art tobacco processing plant, and cigarette conversion factory with a production ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    About BMJ
    BMJ is the British Medical Journal

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast