View Poll Results: Should vaping be banned or Regulated?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is a free country let me do what I want

14 26.42%
  • It should be banned

11 20.75%
  • It should be regulated & taxed

20 37.74%
  • It should be regulated & taxed with higher taxes for certain flavours

2 3.77%
  • Stop with these questions

6 11.32%
Like Tree64Likes

Should Vaping be legalised?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

The effect of flavors on lung inflammation and DNA damage
    American Physiological Society > E-Cigarette Flavorings, Additives Increase Inflammation and Impair Lung Function

Dual users ecigs/cigs five times more likely to get heart attack
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0822131050.htm

UK Ecig companies seeks to addict children - nothing changes
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-sweets.html

TheBrit likes this.

The despicable industry is in constant need of replacement users (also known as attrition or collateral damage of their 'consumer' products)
    The industry $$$ Nirvana is to have dual users of ecigs and combustibles - in USA 58.8% of current adult ecig users are dual users (source Dr Brian King CDC)
    These products are one of the biggest Con-jobs in history promulgated with the help of PHE collaberating with the vape industry
    There is no evidence nor certification as an NRT product and there never will be because of the emissions and the different forms of DNA damage they cause from the heating of diluents (glycol and glycerin=acrolein) and flavors that morph under pyrolysis to create aldehydes
    It seems some people on this blog believe they are better off seeing a plumber when they are sick rather than read and learn the science of what they are doing to themselves

Ecigs breed 81 times more smokers than quitters
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...than-they-stop

Ecigs tied to less smoking cessation
    https://www.businessinsider.com/r-e-...ssation-2018-3

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dynamco; 16-10-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Right. That is the proper authoritarian approach. Why target corporate misdeed if you can dictate policy to deny millions (*) the opportunity to quit smoking tobacco and switch to something deemed 95% safer.

* In UK alone millions have quit tobacco thanks to government policy promoting vaping vs tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Right. That is the proper authoritarian approach. Why target corporate misdeed if you can dictate policy to deny millions (*) the opportunity to quit smoking tobacco and switch to something deemed 95% safer.

* In UK alone millions have quit tobacco thanks to government policy promoting vaping vs tobacco.
    There is no peer reviewed evidence to prove this statement about quitters. Indeed just the opposite including one on UK of 200,000 ecig dual users over a period of TEN years - shows clearly that the users did not cut down on cigarette use, a similar but shorter study in USA and a 28 EU country study showing ecigs DEPRESS smoking cessation in all 28 EU countries INCLUDING UK
    Let me know if you want the links

https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/its-time-st...-report-e-cigs

https://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4863/rr-3

https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/uk-report-c...fic-credibilty
    Last edited by dynamco; 17-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.

I'm really confused about this (I have not read all the pages of this thread).... I'm not a smoker, and don't have any in my family, so I haven't followed anything about the "e-cigs". What I'm concerned about is when on a polluted day, walking along a canyon street, with massive diesel buses flying by, and idiot van drivers (both private and professional) soaking up their private AC while blasting even more pollutants on the street, I have to walk behind an idiot smoking the worst cigarettes imaginable.

Isn't it far more important for helping the health of the city to address the issue of smokers outside on the narrow pavements? And what really, really gets me is that the city allows smoking on footbridges, where you are forced to be in such close proximity to smokers huddling around a rubbish bin!!!

So wtf, why all this focus about e-cigarette users? From my perspective, if I have to go around them in public, I can still breathe. Shouldn't we be helping those who are involuntarily having their health harmed by poor air and the poor choices of others?!

shri likes this.

There is no level of deceit these assholes will not use to hook kids

#Elegiaque
    totally agree
    for this you can blame the Liberal Party tobacco soldiers
    The original legislation was blocked by them, then they allowed the diluted legislation with a 2 year allowance for bars
    They objected to following world examples and making landlords have the onus to comply or lose their licences
    They oppose new attempts at enforcement legislation in Legco with Shiu Ka Fai stating ' the I am the tobacco industry representative in Legco' on live TV - this is forbidden under FCTC Article 5.3
    We are the only first world country that does not have legislation whereby political parties have to report their donors and amounts
    The Govt efforts are being hamstrung by the Liberal party and others
    Broomhead admitted on Legco TV that she held tobacco company shares whereas the FCTC Treaty article states that All Government officials must 'declare and divest' all tobacco stakeholdings and that includes Legislators
    As for walkways blame the Liberal party again for the piss poor definition of 'enclosed'
    Write to Carrie Lam [email protected] and CC tobacco control office and the Ombudsman
    Someone on the Chinese talk-in the other day taunted her about cigarettes so she stated quite clearly she is giving consideration to phasing them out too

1. Department of Health Smoking Cessation Services

The Department of Health operates an Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline 1833 183 which offers a one-stop service for callers to get access to various smoking cessation service providers in Hong Kong.

Counselling on smoking cessation is provided by Registered Nurses through the Smoking Cessation Hotline of the Department of Health. Besides, a computerised call handling system is set up to provide information on smoking cessation and medication in Cantonese, Putonghua and English round the clock. Users may assess their nicotine dependency via the system and obtain the test result as well as other information by fax.
    Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline : 1833 183 (Press 1)
    For details, please click here.

Hospital Authority2. Hospital Authority
    The Smoking Counselling and Cessation Centres is administered by the Hospital Authority since 2002, the service is provided by registered nurses and pharmacists to assist smoker to quit via evidence-based therapies and counselling.
    Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline : 1833 183 (Press 3)
    Cessation Hotline : 2300 7272
    For locations of their territory-wide clinics, please click here.

School of Nursing and School of Public Health, The University of Hong KongSchool of Nursing and School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong3. School of Nursing and School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong
    (A) Youth Quitline
    Target : Youth aged 25 or below
    Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline: 1833 183 (Press 5)

Cessation Hotline : 2855 9557 / 5111 4333

(B) Women Quit
    Target : Female smokers with quit attempt
    Service Coverage :Tailor-made cessation programme offered by experienced smoking cessation nurse via face-to-face and telephone counseling; Enquiry service on smoking cessation; To understand the tobacco dependence; Suggestion on practical cessation plan; Regular follow up service

Cessation Hotline: 6752 6266 / 3917 6658

Tung Wah Group of Hospitals4. Tung Wah Group of Hospitals
    TWGHs Integrated Centre on Smoking Cessation has been established since 1st January 2009 under the subvention of the Department of Health. It provides the local population with comprehensive and community-based smoking cessation services in Wanchai, Mong Kok, Kwun Tong, Cheung Sha Wan, Tsuen Wan, Shatin, Tuen Mun and Tseung Kwan O.

Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline : 1833 183 (Press 2)
    Cessation Hotline : 2332 8977
    Please click here for further service details.

Pok Oi Hospital5. Pok Oi Hospital
    With effect from 1 April 2010, the Department of Health collaborates with Pok Oi Hospital for the provision of smoking cessation programme using acupuncture in Chinese medicine.
    The programme covers a comprehensive range of activities and services including smoking cessation service, education for the public and research projects. Free smoking cessation service including counselling and acupuncture will be provided by POH Chinese medicine practitioners in 20 mobile clinics which serve 100 locations at different districts. A Chinese Medicine Community Health Care Centre was established to support these mobile clinics.

Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline : 1833 183 (Press 4)
    Cessation Hotline : 2607 1222
    Website : Pok Oi Smoking Cessation Service (The webpage is available only in Chinese)

United Christian Nethersole Community Health Service - Smoke-free Club6. United Christian Nethersole Community Health Service
    The United Christian Nethersole Community Health Service has been funded by the Department of Health to provide free smoking cessation services targeted at ethnic minority groups and new immigrants. The services aim to address the special needs in particular the language and cultural difference of ethnic minority groups.

Cessation Hotline: 3156 9012 / 2344 3019

Christian Family Service Centre7. Christian Family Service Centre
    Funded by The Health Care and Promotion Fund of Food and Health Bureau, “Loving Kwun Tong Smoking-free Programme” offers Smoking Cessation Service for smokers. Registered nurse provides assessment and counselling service whereas Chinese medical practitioner provides acupuncture treatment. Service coverage includes seminars, exhibitions and group activities.

Target: Smokers aged 30 – 59
    Hotline: 2191 2887
    Address: Medical Clinic, G/F, 3 Tsui Ping Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon
    Email: [email protected]

Christian Family Service Centre8. Lok Sin Tong
    Sponsored by the Department of Health, the Lok Sin Tong Benevolent Society, Kowloon, has launched the program named “Smoking Cessation Program in Workplace”, so as to help corporate to create a supportive & encouraging environment in promoting smoking cessation in workplace. It also aims to raise awareness of companies to the importance of supporting staff to quit smoking.

The project helps enrolled company to set up internal policy, provide health talk to smokers and non smokers, 4-hour smoking cessation workshop (voluntary) and counseling services to smokers. It is free of charge.

Target: Hong Kong Registered Company
    Cessation Hotline: 2272 9877

http://www.balancehealth.com.hk/quit...g-acupuncture/

https://www.tco.gov.hk/english/quitting/quitting.html

Last edited by dynamco; 17-10-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Strange being a non-smoker now, 3 weeks and 2 days. Smoked for 45 plus years, many attempts at quitting - patches, gum, hypnotherapy, ecigs. All of them helped me cut down but none of them made me a non-smoker and so I increased the amount again. As a smoker I would have said ecigs would work in terms of quitting, as a non-smoker I would say they don't long-term.

Professor Ann McNeill

The professor who wrote the report to PHE which resulted in their ludicrous 95% less harmful statement is Ann McNeill
    Read the attachment to see what her own study found
    The important thing about quitting is willpower which is why proper studies like this check on the 'quitters' at one year or more followup
    See what she says about that

"Findings Compared with non-use, daily e-cigarette use at baseline was associated with increased cessation attempts [odds ratio (OR) = 2.11, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 1.24–3.58, P = 0.006], but NOT WITH CESSATION at follow-up (OR= 0.62, 95% CI = 0.28–1.37, P = 0.24). Non-daily use was not associated with cessation attempts or cessation. Daily e-cigarette use at follow-up was associated with increased odds of substantial reduction (OR= 2.49, 95% CI= 1.14–5.45, P = 0.02), non-daily use was not. Conclusions Daily use of
    e-cigarettes while smoking appears to be associated with subsequent increases in rates of attempting to stop smoking
    and reducing smoking, but not with smoking cessation. Non-daily use of e-cigarettes while smoking does not appear
    to be associated with cessation attempts, cessation or reduced smoking."

Attached Images Attached Images

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast