Like Tree26Likes

HK Airport - Baggage Handling Fees?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Airport - Baggage Handling Fees?

Two sources told the Post that the operator of Hong Kong International Airport, the Airport Authority, had informed them it would levy HK$1.32 per bag from July 6. With the new fee, airlines face paying two sets of baggage handling costs.

Currently, ground handling companies are contracted by airlines to handle all necessary duties under the wing of a plane once it arrives, such as unloading luggage from the hold onto carts and putting them on conveyor belts that lead to the baggage reclaim area.
    David Bentley, chief airport analyst at CAPA Centre for Aviation, said: “I can’t see what the justification for the charges is. Hong Kong holds a monopoly position, unlike an increasing number of other major airports worldwide.”
    Hong Kong International Airport to introduce charge for putting luggage onto carousel | South China Morning Post
    East_coast likes this.

Oh so sorry la, we want more profit la, 11.48 billion not enough la. WTF!!!!!

What else can the Airport outsource to make more money

HKIA on Wednesday unveiled record profits of HK$11.48 billion (US$1.46 billion) from advertising and retail licences and
    charging airlines higher fees.

AA hires consultants, consultants says oh charge baggage fee good profit for you , oh and hire us to look at how high you can increase the shop rental, etc.

Nothing users can do though so they have a total licence to screw them as much as they want.

fly from macau/gz airports....

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    fly from macau/gz airports....
    That is what people will do. They'll bypass HK

I agree you it looks like an Anti-HK policy. Next they'll be asking to build the worlds most expensive runway extension...

The current government only seems to be able to help businesses gouging money from society. Clearly not sustainable.

Flying is overrated, walk instead

Morrison likes this.

You guys who don't like this.. .well.. you know where the airport is!

My flight to Canada just increased by 0.04%.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    My flight to Canada just increased by 0.04%.
    Exactly.

It is this skimming off from society that does the real harm in the long term.
    JAherbert likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast