Like Tree11Likes

Cheung Chau food vendors join campaign providing 4,000 reusable containers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheung Chau food vendors join campaign providing 4,000 reusable containers

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-join-campaign
    A new plastic-free initiative has kicked off on Cheung Chau, providing 4,000 reusable food containers to visitors for free.
    A total of 20 local snack bars and restaurants, including Po’s, agreed to join the campaign, offering discounts or extra food to customers with the containers, which are made of silicon.
    Tang hopes Cheung Chau will be the starting point of similar campaigns that could be launched on the food streets of Mong Kok and other parts of the city.
    Good job Cheung Chau.

Getting rid of plastic straws should be another easy one to tackle. Replace them with glass, metal, bamboo ones as a first step, then ban it altogether and have people bring their own.

What happened to the paper straws of my childhood? We always had paper straws- you used to have to tear off the end if it got too mushy, they're not very sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    What happened to the paper straws of my childhood? We always had paper straws- you used to have to tear off the end if it got too mushy, they're not very sturdy.
    They are increasingly popular. I just declined one here. They have not improved! I don't understand why anyone wants or needs a straw anyway? Just drink out of the glass ffs!
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I don't understand why anyone wants or needs a straw anyway? Just drink out of the glass ffs!
    Cannot la. Quite an effort to drink bubble tea with a spoon. Milkshake without a straw is just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    Cannot la. Quite an effort to drink bubble tea with a spoon. Milkshake without a straw is just not the same.
    I cannot figure out if this is a serious post or not... but I'll bite... WHY can't you just pick up the glass of bubble tea or milkshake and just drink it?

Semi-serious...

For bubble tea, all the bubbles would stay at the bottom of the cup/glass, you’d end up drinking all the tea first if you go from the top down.

Those bubble tea straws are much wider to suck up the bubbles

re: straws, people with disabilities may need cheap ones that can be easily articulated and/or cleaned/replaced, so your standard bendy plastic straw.

@HK_Katherine there could be an argument for hygiene. Asia's World City has yet to embrace soap & water and good hygiene.
    @pkboy sure, I think modern inventions and plastics should be used to our advantage to help those with disabilities or in need of medical care. It's other physically capable lot that shouldn't take advantage of it for convenience.

GeoTommy, you can buy big stainless steel straws. On the rare occasion I drink bubble tea, I bring my own bottle (which may or may not get used as intended) and drink from it without a straw. Just saying, it's possible...

@Elegiaque
    You have the right idea, I think plastic should still be an option while others can use an alternative. The issue is that it's all or nothing for peoples who push these bans.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast