• 2 Post By Ciderman
  • 1 Post By Rob2020
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By flameproof

Local Breweries Boycott Beertopia

Closed Thread

Local Breweries Boycott Beertopia

https://www.bcmagazine.net/2018/08/2...ott-beertopia/
    Collectively, the Guild feels that the ethos of Beertopia has shifted away from its original focus on the enjoyment and promotion of craft beer. Whereas large international producers can afford the newly raised event costs by serving industrial-scale beer, local Hong Kong brewers have no financially viable way to participate in Beertopia.
    shri likes this.

BC Magazine is still around?!

Collectively, the Guild feels that the ethos of Beertopia has shifted away from its original focus on the enjoyment and promotion of craft beer. Whereas large international producers can afford the newly raised event costs by serving industrial-scale beer, local Hong Kong brewers have no financially viable way to participate in Beertopia.
    And... Greed, nothing new there

Why don't they simply make one booth together?

Ciderman likes this.

I'd like to see them put up something similar to the original beertopia actually.

markranson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I'd like to see them put up something similar to the original beertopia actually.
    Your wish is their command

https://www.facebook.com/events/1078850782290337/

And here is their website for the event.
    https://www.beerfesthk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Why don't they simply make one booth together?
    Because having a publicity stunt is good PR. BeerFestHK will be busy now.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Because having a publicity stunt is good PR. BeerFestHK will be busy now.
    It is a lot more than a PR stunt - I personally think the whole craft beer thing and beertopia have diverged to the point where a smaller beer festival will do the industry a lot more good. Doubt any of the kids who hit Beertopia actually give a shit about a good beer or six.

And then there is the cost aspect - from what I've heard, you're lucky if you break even, very very lucky! Beertopia is not something small businesses (which the local brewers are) can afford to deal with.

Glad the local guys walked out. Good for them!
    TheBrit, jgl, HowardCoombs and 3 others like this.

This is a shame. Costs in Hong Kong are certainly high and as a Beertopia vendor I have direct experience of how that all contributes to the cost of participating. Last year I was very jealous of the very impressive setups organised by some of the local brewers. I imagine they were much more expensive than my own modest approach and that they spent a ton of money over and above the venue fees. For them to take their whole team away from production for a few days would also be a big financial commitment. But my own (limited) experience of Beertopia has been that it is a great way to get in front of customers and, whilst it’s not a profit generating event, it can be at least breakeven. By the way, the venue fee for my medium sized stand has gone up by HK$3,000 this year. Annoying but not a showstopper.When I first came to Hong Kong there were two locally brewed beers: Hong Kong San Miguel and Carlsberg. Now there is an incredible variety as the article shows (there is even a local cider maker). I wonder whether this city now has too many local brewers. How can so many makers differentiate themselves? How can they keep their overheads down in such an insanely expensive city? Are we at a tipping point for locally brewed beer in the big 852? I am very interested to see what happens and how they can create cheaper festivals. I hope they can but if they are trying to reduce costs I imagine they will have to utilise networks of existing bars rather than one bg venue.My 2 cents.

Last edited by Ciderman; 30-08-2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Formatting
    TheBrit and shri like this.

I wonder whether this city now has too many local brewers. How can so many makers differentiate themselves? How can they keep their overheads down in such an insanely expensive city? Are we at a tipping point for locally brewed beer in the big 852?
    At one point here were 3 or 4 Macau style egg tart vendors within 200 mts of each other in CWB. They got replaced by powdered milk selling pharmacists a few years ago.

As long as the bros think their beards are cool, we'll continue seeing local craft beer/ciders being brewed in HK.
    Ciderman likes this.