Like Tree238Likes

Disco Bay Marina: Closing, 3 Months Notice

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I got curious and looked up the Hei Ling Chau spaces- seems no water or electric? Didn't say (couldn't find it) how many spaces but applications are due September 30th. Very close by (about 20 minutes by slow ferry) so hopefully could move even a house boat there. At least they could have a place to put it- Hei Ling Chau is a restricted area due to the prison but there is ferry service between HLC and Peng Chau- some from Central, just stay on the ferry and it continues to HLC. Or get off at PC and take kai to to DB for school?

Not a really viable solution I guess without electric and water. Maybe the government would provide these things? It's there on HLC, seems possible to route it to the typhoon shelter.

We have public bathrooms with showers on PC that I guess are for the fisherman- there seem to be people that live on boats moored around PC. Small fishing boats- some near my block of flats- like I see laundry hanging on them and such.

Quote Originally Posted by pkboy:
    Quite something that 200 families will be "homeless" by then.

Why don't they just, like, sail away? (I know nothing of boathouse logistics)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...faces-eviction
    Because there is nowhere to sail to (in Hong Kong). The Government does not prioritise marine development at all - despite it being a huge growth industry that could attract a lot of money and bring all kinds of yachts to Hong Kong. All the marina's in HK are full. It's so stupid: this is a way to "use" the space in the sea without filling it in with sand and destroying the marine environment - which is obviously the Government's preferred way of capitalising on the seabed (to wit the ludicrous plans to practically fill in Victoria harbour with these new "islands".)

however, to be fair, everyone in DB knew their debentures expired at the end of the year and it's been debated for at least a year what might happen. Most people assumed that "something would be sorted out". It has not been.

We have similar crap occurring in Gold Coast where the Club there also wiped millions off the face of the debentures. Luckily for me, we purchased ours at close to "face value". But others I know paid millions and are left with pennies on the dollar.
    shri, jgl, Fiona in HKG and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    "The government said living on board boats was not permitted in Hong Kong, but declined to comment when asked if officials would follow up on the issue."

Really?
    Really. It's a ludicrous situation. For example, it's (now) impossible to get a FDH because if you live on a boat you do not have a "residence". But I was able to become a Permenant Resident of Hong Kong after spending 7 years exclusively living on a boat..... left hand/right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    This is an option. Would cost an arm and a leg though.

It's an option already being used by several boat owners in Gold Coast for similar reasons. Nobody can sell houseboats in HK. Have not been able to for about 2 years, since GC unilaterally changed the rules on debentures and berths and the uncertainty in DB became more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    This is an option. Would cost an arm and a leg though.
    Giant multi-storied berthing structures with water, plumbing and electricity. Sort of like those container housing proposals?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Some of them would have been designed from the... hull... up as houseboats. Very square and chunky. Not really designed for going long distances in rough waters.
    Indeed. They are the hight of luxury for living. Not for sailing. We deliberately did not go for something like this. (Ours is the classic junk, just with the main level enclosed. So there is (something) of a market for them still in HK).
    shri and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I got curious and looked up the Hei Ling Chau spaces- seems no water or electric? Didn't say (couldn't find it) how many spaces but applications are due September 30th. Very close by (about 20 minutes by slow ferry) so hopefully could move even a house boat there. At least they could have a place to put it- Hei Ling Chau is a restricted area due to the prison but there is ferry service between HLC and Peng Chau- some from Central, just stay on the ferry and it continues to HLC. Or get off at PC and take kai to to DB for school?

Not a really viable solution I guess without electric and water. Maybe the government would provide these things? It's there on HLC, seems possible to route it to the typhoon shelter.

We have public bathrooms with showers on PC that I guess are for the fisherman- there seem to be people that live on boats moored around PC. Small fishing boats- some near my block of flats- like I see laundry hanging on them and such.
    HLC would be a VERY different life for these houseboat dwellers. Not being quayside, you'd need a tender. No services, your own generator and water from tanks on board. Fuel to be transported.

Not sure how many moorings have been sunk but probably not that many. Each boat needs a tidal swing space and these boats are quite large. Would be potentially catastrophic in a typhoon.

The boats in DB are moored statically next to each other, causing a block effect. Electricity, water supplied, step off onto the quay and walk to solid ground. It is very different living on a houseboat, to living aboard a moored boat. I've done both.

It seems there isn't a solution, it's atrocious treatment of families to give such short notice but it has been talked about for a while. And anyone who lives in DB knows only too well that the owners and managers of the entire complex are ruthless and heartless. As this happens, they are also talking about 'helping the housing shortage' by planning tiny apartments (90sqft). The only people they are interested in helping is themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    HLC would be a VERY different life for these houseboat dwellers. Not being quayside, you'd need a tender. No services, your own generator and water from tanks on board. Fuel to be transported.

Not sure how many moorings have been sunk but probably not that many. Each boat needs a tidal swing space and these boats are quite large. Would be potentially catastrophic in a typhoon.

The boats in DB are moored statically next to each other, causing a block effect. Electricity, water supplied, step off onto the quay and walk to solid ground. It is very different living on a houseboat, to living aboard a moored boat. I've done both.

It seems there isn't a solution, it's atrocious treatment of families to give such short notice but it has been talked about for a while. And anyone who lives in DB knows only too well that the owners and managers of the entire complex are ruthless and heartless. As this happens, they are also talking about 'helping the housing shortage' by planning tiny apartments (90sqft). The only people they are interested in helping is themselves.
    Well, hopefully could at least store the boat by mooring at HLC for a bit? I am thinking, seriously, where will the boats go until there is a long term solution? Like you said, they are BIG. And such a big investment... Yes, it's not a solution, but just somewhere to keep the boat until...well, not sure. Only advantage is that it's quite close for moving the boat.

But I am still wondering if moored there, do you have permission to go on the island being a restricted area and all? Would seem pretty hopeless if you can't even land.

It's such a sad story.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

What if they refuse to move?

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What if they refuse to move?
    Cut off quayside utilities, block access through club property. Illegal occupation of club property, legally seize? Don't know but I do wonder how this will all play out. Apparently development/land use not approved and owners have hired a Silk to represent them at a judicial review of denied application.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast