Like Tree53Likes

Typhoon Mangkhut - Aftermath and recovery: What's the situation?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    24 hours and everything will be back to normal?
    For a majority of people, yes.For some villages and some other places no.Today in my office - everyone is here (aside from ppl on Holidays or travelling) - it's not representative of all HK obviously but it's representative of most of the Banking/Finance/Insurance industry who employs a lot of the HK workforce.Most of HK people live in the city areas, not in villages (obviously, Tai Mei Tuk, Shek O, Tai O and the likes will take time to recover but that's not most of HK) @Cornmeal - I was in Tseun Wan and Sham Tseng last night - aside from a few branches: OK

I think the massive crowds at Tai Wai and Tai Po yesterday would likely disagree with you. Although it may depend on when the 24hrs started (T8 or T3)?

New Territories is the largest in terms of population and geography....also finance and insurance only make up employ far less than the public sector and retail/services/trade so there's more to the recovery than ability to easily hop on the red/blue line and reach central.

Thanks for the update on Tsuen Wan but I'm wondering about getting there from here, seems KMB still has major disruptions but the MTR reporting the East Rail is back on track. A bus from Taipo-Tsuen Wan is half the time of the MTR.

Lam Tsuen and most of lam kam road has been cleared up. minibus and bus (64K) has been resumed this morning. High respect to all the team involved to clean things up

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    I think the massive crowds at Tai Wai and Tai Po yesterday would likely disagree with you. Although it may depend on when the 24hrs started (T8 or T3)?New Territories is the largest in terms of population and geography....also finance and insurance only make up employ far less than the public sector and retail/services/trade so there's more to the recovery than ability to easily hop on the red/blue line and reach central. Thanks for the update on Tsuen Wan but I'm wondering about getting there from here, seems KMB still has major disruptions but the MTR reporting the East Rail is back on track. A bus from Taipo-Tsuen Wan is half the time of the MTR.
    New territories is mostly high rises building/city type of living. I live in NT and have lived (in various part of NT) for over 10 years. I have taken the MTR from TKO and Tseun Wan in the last 2 days. I will not comment on Tai Po as I didn't go there.No one is saying situation is not difficult in some part of the territories but for most part, HK is working today.

Those of us who live in rural areas of the NT (as opposed to the new towns) need to accept the quid pro quo of being last to get back to normal after something like this. I haven't even been out or village gate since the typhoon, although the sterling work of many people yesterday meant it was possible by the evening. This morning we've had 3 chainsaw crews working to get the biggest trees off the roads while the rest of us have been sawing, chopping, sweeping and drain cleaning. The friendly local claw truck man is doing a lot of overtime!

I'm knackered, but it's back to the office for the afternoon.

jgl, shri, spode and 2 others like this.

time is needed, tree fell on pedestrians in Kwai Chung this morning

Falling tree injures passers-by in Kwai Chung - RTHK

Some aftermath photos from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/w...hong-kong.html

spode likes this.

Just back from Deep Water Bay.Not too pretty.

Name:  P9180003.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  1.50 MBName:  P9180004.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  1.56 MBName:  P9180007.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  1.43 MBName:  P9180011.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  1.33 MBName:  P9180020.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  1.35 MB

it was great to see pictures on FB from minority communities helping clean up. Nepalese community cleaning up in Yuen Long areas and then you have the Asylum seekers helping cleaning up in areas like Sham Shui Po / TST etc.

https://www.facebook.com/MuslimCounc...2912572336655/

hullexile, spode, Cornmeal and 2 others like this.

Govt says more time needed to clear certain roads

around my office, they just moved the tree branches blocking the main roads on to the concrete planters, so not really cleaned up yet. And the pedestrian area not touched yet.

Govt says more time needed to clear certain roads - RTHK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast