Like Tree33Likes

Smashed Window from Typhoon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Talk the landlord. You're not going to get any brownie points (and if I were the landlord, I'd want you out as soon as the lease renewal comes up..) by not paying the rent.

Ask him about his insurance policy and if it covers loss of rent - if this is the case, he may be more sympathetic.

jrkob, JAherbert and gigglinggal like this.

say goodbye to your deposit

We have a good relationship with our landlord and we aren't doing anything drastic. First we want the window fixed as soon as possible then talk about compensation. Just wondering on what are the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    We didn't tape them up and he did not advise anything.

I understand that personal belongings is on our part and we do not have insurance for it. The main concern is that his room especially is not livable and surely we should not pay rent for a room that does not meet this requirement.
    You’re grown adults it’s up to you to secure everything as far as you can.

You can’t punish the landlord for something you obviously failed to do.

Yes if the window cracked then he’d have to fix it and there wouldn’t of been anywhere near as much damage to your flatmates belongings if at all.

The tenant insurance I have pays for alternative accommodation for 30 days (1000/day, nothing lavish) as a guide to what the mentality might be in terms of compensation. Yes, it would be nice if he deducted some days' rent but not too optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Talk the landlord. You're not going to get any brownie points (and if I were the landlord, I'd want you out as soon as the lease renewal comes up..) by not paying the rent.

Ask him about his insurance policy and if it covers loss of rent - if this is the case, he may be more sympathetic.
    100% with @shri talk to LL. , its one room, your flatmate (if not injured) could have sleep on sofa for a few days, it feels like you ought to lower your expectations, seems like you are fishing for / expecting two weeks at the Conrad? I don't see the LL offering much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    We have a good relationship with our landlord and we aren't doing anything drastic. First we want the window fixed as soon as possible then talk about compensation. Just wondering on what are the options.
    Compensation ???? For fuck’s sake!!!! I’m guessing you’re American? Everything has to be sued.

I despise Landlords for many things but sympathise when they have to deal with this sort of shit!

Get real. Actually no. Sue the landlord I could do with a laugh when the court hears your case.

It is the responsibility of the landlord to provide liveable accommodation. If the landlord is unable to do this, I think it's entirely reasonable for the tenant to stop paying rent.

If a fire from another flat sooted the place up down and it took the landlord 2 weeks to fix things up would it be reasonable for the tenant to pay rent when the landlord is not providing the place for them to live?

The landlord has responsibilities in this relationship too. He should have taken out insurance if he is unwilling to take the risk of external events affecting his ability to provide the accomodation the tenants are paying for.

If this happened to any of my tenants I'd have the windows boarded up on Day 1 and replacement window fitted as soon as possible. I'd also offer them nights in alternative accommodation or a rent free period. It's just basic humanity rather than being a jerk as most on this thread seem to advocate.

Viktri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    You’re grown adults it’s up to you to secure everything as far as you can.

You can’t punish the landlord for something you obviously failed to do.

Yes if the window cracked then he’d have to fix it and there wouldn’t of been anywhere near as much damage to your flatmates belongings if at all.
    What a crock of shit jimbo. You're blaming the tenants for letting the windows be smashed in by a typhoon because they didn't tape them? This is the same typhoon that uprooted trees and turned cars over and you think a few yards of masking tape is going to make any difference? Get real.
    shri and Viktri like this.

Our landlord promptly sorted out the situation, but it takes a while to get a window fixed especially in our estate since there are many channels to go through.

He offered us half a month rent free and is taking care of the room, repainting it and replacing the soaked mattress. The matter at hand is resolved and pleased with the outcome.

Our rooms have large windows which I don't think many understand. Sizing is at least 2 meters by 2 meters, not exactly small.

hullexile, TheBrit, shri and 5 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast