Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24
Like Tree226Likes

Visa Renewal Refused for FCC VP - Chaired Andy Chan Talk

Wow...

Goodbye freedom of speech. I look back at things I said to students a few years ago... so much I won't say now. Even going to protests seems risky... Sheesh!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia

Australia’s move to knock back CK Group’s A$13 billion ($9.4 billion) bid for APA Group was particularly ominous for the global financial center. Treasurer Josh Frydenberg found having more gas pipelines in foreign hands would be contrary to the national interest, a decision that followed a torrent of criticism claiming that Hong Kong companies were just as susceptible to Beijing’s influence as their Chinese brethren.

The rejection came days after Hong Kong’s No. 2 official, Chief Secretary Matthew Cheung, was forced to defend the city’s free speech protections at a UN hearing in Geneva. Member nations had questioned whether the local government was still committed to the rights guaranteed before the “special administrative region” was returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
    shri, HK_Katherine, Gatts and 2 others like this.

Seems like a petty squabble by the HK Government

As a tit for tat - wonder if Carrie Lam can be denied residency in the UK after her term?

Shit this is huge. CK already has so many assets in the energy industry in Australia they would not have thought this would be knocked back.

Similar deal 18 months ago not deemed an issue. Things have changed.
    Gatts likes this.

A British journalist being barred from Hong Kong “has nothing to do with freedom of expression or freedom of the press”, the city’s security chief said on Friday.

But Secretary for Security John Lee Ka-chiu said the government would not explain why it blocked Victor Mallet’s entry as a tourist, citing “data privacy considerations”.

Full disclosure of details may prejudice the immigration policy as a whole...
    I can't think of a single reason why anyone would even begin to think that it was anything to do with freedom of the press /sarcasm

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ist-enter-hong

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24