Like Tree36Likes

Woman, 78, jailed for a year for pouring hot water on domestic helper

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Woman, 78, jailed for a year for pouring hot water on domestic helper

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ring-hot-water
    A 78-year-old Indonesian Chinese woman found guilty of pouring hot water on her domestic helper was jailed for a year by a Hong Kong court on Monday.
    Two days after Ismiati reported for work on March 27, the helper recalled that Gee complained about her slow cooking and suddenly poured hot water from a kettle on her back while she was preparing dinner... The helper was fired on the same day.
    Still, he considered Gee’s age and reduced the starting point of sentence from 15 months to 12.

Wow... a cruel, mean and evil old person. This does not surprise me at all.

Too bad they can't be put away and will most likely get a suspended sentence due to all the health issues and medications that they have simply because of age.

What a psycho.

Honestly HK needs to sort out its complete lack of elder care. Dropping a young foreign helper with elderly - who are prone to be irritable and confused already - can be a recipe for disaster. There was another case where a video went around of some nuts old lady slapping her helper and saying it was because the helper was speaking a foreign language. The helper's response to it wasn't great either which escalated it - not that it's her fault but she's clearly not trained to deal with unstable elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Wow... a cruel, mean and evil old person. This does not surprise me at all.

Too bad they can't be put away and will most likely get a suspended sentence due to all the health issues and medications that they have simply because of age.
    Definitely. We hear this kind of news everyday

Quote Originally Posted by gataloca:
    Definitely. We hear this kind of news everyday
    You obviously haven't seen the life advice I was giving about old people on the forum. Not very popular, but it's the truth.

Old people are abandoned because they become so bitter, angry, demanding and full of blame. Nothing triggers old people more than not having youth. They may not be financially impaired due to any correction/ recession (thanks time in the market), but they will never have the strength, looks and skin to be relevant anymore. And they all hate this.

I expect more people to abandon their ageing Boomer parents - the first generation that can outlive their children. Prior to this, parents died from infections and curable (by today's advancements) cancers.
    shri and HK_Katherine like this.

You obviously haven't seen the life advice I was giving about old people on the forum. Not very popular, but it's the truth.

Old people are abandoned because they become so bitter, angry, demanding and full of blame. Nothing triggers old people more than not having youth. They may not be financially impaired due to any correction/ recession (thanks time in the market), but they will never have the strength, looks and skin to be relevant anymore. And they all hate this.

I expect more people to abandon their ageing Boomer parents - the first generation that can outlive their children. Prior to this, parents died from infections and curable (by today's advancements) cancers.
    At what age does this start? Can't say I noticed it with either of my parents in their late 80s, so are we talking in their 90s?
    kimwy66 likes this.

It's not everyone. It's the majority though.

Congrats, you have kind and loving parents!

What a load of utter bollocks, although an unsurprising attitude though given the levels of elder abuse in Western countries. Old people aren't abused because they are bitter, youth-envying miserable gits, they are abused because the people that abuse them are nasty sacks of shit.

Similarly, helpers aren't abused because the person abusing them is old, but because the abuser is a nasty person devoid of empathy. Horrible people were likely horrible when they were young, and are no different when they are old.

If elderly people are going to be abandoned by gen X / millenials it is because we have encouraged a virulent form of individualism / identarianism that encourages a complete lack of empathy while centering the individual as the most important factor in any decision.
    juanalias, lofuji and Pabalbo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    What a load of utter bollocks, although an unsurprising attitude though given the levels of elder abuse in Western countries. Old people aren't abused because they are bitter, youth-envying miserable gits, they are abused because the people that abuse them are nasty sacks of shit.

Similarly, helpers aren't abused because the person abusing them is old, but because the abuser is a nasty person devoid of empathy. Horrible people were likely horrible when they were young, and are no different when they are old.

If elderly people are going to be abandoned by gen X / millenials it is because we have encouraged a virulent form of individualism / identarianism that encourages a complete lack of empathy while centering the individual as the most important factor in any decision.
    Your logic is absolutely horrible.

Thank you

It's not everyone. It's the majority though.

Congrats, you have kind and loving parents!
    I'm not sure whose majority you mean. I've certainly seen some of this with my Dad - but that was an illness. A few doses of ECT and he's back to his own self. The doc said it was very common in older people. So are you saying that HK's elderly are just not getting treatment for their mental illnesses? That I can believe. I don't believe the sweeping statement that all (or many) old people are nut-jobs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast