Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Hong Kong coach crash, 5 dead

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    Who owns the seat belt companies and who would be hired to retrofit existing buses? Probably Germans! Surely there is a Chinese company they can give government money to!
    Would mostly be labour costs I guess. Seems some of them need structural modifications. To be honest, I don't think seatbelts is the big issue. Public buses in most developed countries don't have seat belts - and neither do they have old, tired drivers with multiple driving offenses on their card. I think the latter is a bigger issue for safety than the former.
    jgl, hullexile, shri and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Would mostly be labour costs I guess. Seems some of them need structural modifications. To be honest, I don't think seatbelts is the big issue. Public buses in most developed countries don't have seat belts - and neither do they have old, tired drivers with multiple driving offenses on their card. I think the latter is a bigger issue for safety than the former.
    It could be argued you only need the seatbelts because of the driver issues.
    MerMer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Why is the HK government so f-ing cheap on things that matter? At a bare minimum it should be mandatory for all new buses and coaches to have seatbelts!
    It looks like a matter of competence.

Hong Kong roads are generally safe but there does seem to be a recurring theme of tired, old and badly trained drivers crashing buses.

Not worry the Road Safety People aren't asleep at the wheel because they are cavorting around in an open top bus.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...8120400342.htm

There are many small changes that could be made to improve the lot of the average bus driver but alas all we can muster as a society are thoughts and prayers along with the demonising of a driver who was only part way through his shift (10 hours of upto 14 hours) and X Days of continuous work. I still do not blame the driver. Oh also handing out don't take drugs and drive in an open top bus. Incompetent and tasteless.

I may have missed it in all this discussion but did anyone else say anything about the miracle of the German tourist who was the passenger in the taxi who only suffered light injuries and returned to their hotel?

I was shocked after seeing how smashed that taxi was and that the driver did not survive. Since the front of the taxi was open does anyone know if the taxi driver had gotten out of the car to look at the engine and that is why he died but the passenger survived? The tourist must have been wearing a seat belt for sure.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The company should not allow someone with multiple driving convictions to be ferrying passengers around.
    I thought this is already in place and the worst ones, that are really have no skill and are not trainable will be put on minibuses.
    East_coast likes this.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast