Like Tree110Likes

Legco passes HK$50m request for new music fountain

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Should I look to see if any of the councillors have retail property nearby?
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Apparently all you need to do is spray the kids with water and they'll be happy!
    Works all over the world.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chil...w=1863&bih=950

Geoexpat, the Grinch trying to steal Christmas. Thank god you guys don't run this city.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Works all over the world.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chil...w=1863&bih=950

Geoexpat, the Grinch trying to steal Christmas. Thank god you guys don't run this city.
    Our local one, these things are everywhere and the kids love them.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  62.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Our local one, these things are everywhere and the kids love them.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  62.3 KB
    From the image in the second post, it doesn't appear that childrens' enjoyment factors into the design requirements.

I'm thinking that an interactive water fountain would be perfect for the Tung Chung plaza though.

I've seen the existing playground area under the flyover in Kwun Tong. It's not terrible considering that the surrounding area is heavily industrial in feel, but it could be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:

After some six years here, yes, I have become very grinch-y, like many others. It's because the priorities seem all wrong and how things are built are very poorly designed -- all wasting money. It just becomes infuriating after sometime that property developers tout the importance of improving the ice skating accessibility for the community, the government builds a "viewing platform" that entails a wall blocking the view and no seating with extra gates to enter, and these are the little things compared to the major transportation links they've just built that create a headache for local residents. But meanwhile, if you try to get some basic changes in place in your local community to help improve road safety, you hit a dead end and it's left as a mess of either no regulation or no enforcement of existing laws and a dangerous situation (with a heck of a lot of finger pointing at other government bodies...). But meanwhile, the government seems to have every ability to act when it comes to stopping someone being active in the community due to a few words they've said.

And do I need to mention FENCES! I am willing to bet money this water display will have a fence around it! Children would love it. Except they probably can't...

So yes, I am an grinch and I wish the government would just stop building bloody unnecessary STUFF and instead focus on things that clearly have a straightforward benefit to the community, like community gardens (for which there is a large waiting list).

[Rant over, let me start working... and yes, I know where the airport is. I'm mentally packing up...]
    shri, hullexile, jgl and 5 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    The Govt is retrofitting the Tung Chung fountain with 500 volt cables

The sign in English only will read:

FREE SHOWER FOR MAINLAND TOURISTS

in small print:
    No mastication allowed
    No planting rice
    No water buffalo feeding
    Beware electric shock

Name:  176098791_10159044984745027_6020601393392249648_n.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  35.8 KB

Seems like money well spent compared to the Macau/Zhuhai bridge

Wish they would just planta few more shade trees. :
    FAr too much outdoor metal concrete plastic bright lights already in this city :
    Like the new wanchai waterfront a few isolated trees .far too much concrete paving uncomfortable seating 'awnings that keep out neither rain or sun ' crap sculpture modern art etc
    Well at least they try.