View Poll Results: Should Hong Kong legalize euthanasia?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 68.75%
  • No

    5 31.25%
Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Should Hong Kong legalize euthanasia?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,376

    Some interesting reading..

    https://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en...tsheet_eng.doc

    Use Google Docs Viewer to skip downloading: factsheet_eng.doc


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    Euthanasia legally allowed with ever increasing grip of CCP? NO, NO, NO.. Human rights first..
    While I support people's right to euthanasia within collectively agreed parameters as can be established in (liberal) democracies, when a never-elected organ such as the CCP that has "euthanized" more people than the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany combined is the party unilaterally and without any consultation dictating "laws" about ending people's (and entire peoples' !) lives, things start to feel a little awkward.

    That organization is insulted by the entire concept of human rights as we know it, although the CCP appears to espouse a particular jingoistic concept of human rights whereupon its subjects are considered immune from local laws when behaving badly overseas...
    angeluscomplex likes this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    17,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto
    While I support people's right to euthanasia within collectively agreed parameters as can be established in (liberal) democracies, when a never-elected organ such as the CCP that has "euthanized" more people than the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany combined is the party unilaterally and without any consultation dictating "laws" about ending people's (and entire peoples' !) lives, things start to feel a little awkward.

    That organization is insulted by the entire concept of human rights as we know it, although the CCP appears to espouse a particular jingoistic concept of human rights whereupon its subjects are considered immune from local laws when behaving badly overseas...
    As you say they have already killed millions directly or indirectly without a euthanasia law so I can't see that as a reason to deprive Chinese citizens the right to a dignified death.
    HK_Katherine and gigglinggal like this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    8,671
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    As you say they have already killed millions directly or indirectly without a euthanasia law so I can't see that as a reason to deprive Chinese citizens the right to a dignified death.
    Yep, this.

    Everywhere should allow this. It's a basic right and it's also good for society. Everything good can be mis-used, that's not a reason not to have it.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    As you say they have already killed millions directly or indirectly without a euthanasia law so I can't see that as a reason to deprive Chinese citizens the right to a dignified death.
    Yet somehow I can't see that organization permitting their subjects even that level of self-determination.

    Depriving rights is what they really excel at.
    Elegiaque likes this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    13,677

    Reading this makes me very sad. Most people are posting as if 1C2S's has been euthanised. .


  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    17,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto
    Yet somehow I can't see that organization permitting their subjects even that level of self-determination.

    Depriving rights is what they really excel at.
    Unfortunately they are far from alone, how many countries have legalised euthanasia?

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Unfortunately they are far from alone, how many countries have legalised euthanasia?
    Another way of looking at it: How many countries or ruling organizations have legalized or illegalized euthanasia?

    The catholic church, its various derivatives and offshoots and the followers of prophet M. have had a major say or ruling on this issue too.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    600

    This issue is difficult to legislate because it requires moral judgement best determined case by case. Indeed it should be a difficult decision and not made with a broad sweep of legislative powers.


  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    17,559
    Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    This issue is difficult to legislate because it requires moral judgement best determined case by case. Indeed it should be a difficult decision and not made with a broad sweep of legislative powers.
    So you are terminally ill and in physical and mental pain but have to go through years of highly expensive and public litigation to have the same humane treatment you would give to your pet dog.
    HK_Katherine and GeoTommy like this.

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2