Like Tree56Likes

North Point: School Bus Accident, at least 2 Dead, 10 Hurt

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Given how restricted the bus licenses are, schools are at the mercy of the bus companies, unless they have a 100% owned bus fleet. Today, I don't think a school can threaten contract cancellation if the bus company does not guarantee a 100% conviction free / point free driver pool.
    East_coast and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Given how restricted the bus licenses are, schools are at the mercy of the bus companies, unless they have a 100% owned bus fleet. Today, I don't think a school can threaten contract cancellation if the bus company does not guarantee a 100% conviction free / point free driver pool.
    We all make mistakes and mandatory re-training /retesting should be offered not just banning.

There are 48 serious accident blackspots where the road design contributes to bad judgement. The below are the current list but many are perennial winners of this dubious title. Little has been done in the last 15 years with the executive branch patting themselves on the back for falling fatality numbers which are almost certainly due to EU and Japan crash test improvements
    (i) there are 6 or more pedestrian injury accidents in the past 1 year; or
    (ii) there are 9 or more injury accidents in the past 1 year

ARGYLE STREET, LOMOND ROAD
    ARGYLE STREET, SAI YEE STREET
    CANTON ROAD, AUSTIN ROAD, AUSTIN ROAD WEST
    CANTON ROAD, JORDAN ROAD, FERRY STREET
    CASTLE PEAK ROAD - TSUEN WAN, TAI CHUNG ROAD
    CHATHAM ROAD SOUTH, AUSTIN ROAD, CHEONG WAN ROAD
    CHE KUNG MIU ROAD, MEI TIN ROAD, HUNG MUI KUK ROAD
    CHEUNG SHA WAN ROAD, TAI NAN WEST STREET
    CHEUNG SHA WAN ROAD, TONKIN STREET
    CHEUNG SHA WAN ROAD, YEN CHOW STREET
    CHUEN LUNG STREET, SAN TSUEN STREET
    CHUNG ON STREET, HO PUI STREET
    CLEAR WATER BAY ROAD, NEW CLEAR WATER BAY ROAD NEAR CHOI WAN ESTATE
    CONNAUGHT ROAD WEST, EASTERN STREET NORTH, EASTERN STREET
    GASCOIGNE ROAD, CHATHAM ROAD SOUTH
    HIP WO STREET, MUT WAH STREET, YUET WAH STREET
    JORDAN ROAD, SHANGHAI STREET
    KOWLOON CITY ROAD, LOK SHAN ROAD
    KOWLOON PARK DRIVE, MIDDLE ROAD
    KWUN TONG ROAD, HONG NING ROAD
    KWUN TONG ROAD, LAI YIP STREET, ELEGANCE ROAD
    KWUN TONG ROAD, LEI YUE MUN ROAD, TSUI PING ROAD
    LEI YUE MUN ROAD, CHA KWO LING ROAD
    LEI YUE MUN ROAD, KAI TIN ROAD
    LIN CHEUNG ROAD (N/B), CHERRY STREET
    LIN CHEUNG ROAD, TONKIN STREET WEST
    LOK SHAN ROAD, HA HEUNG ROAD
    LOK SHAN ROAD, TO KWA WAN ROAD
    MA HANG CHUNG ROAD, MA TAU WAI ROAD, TIN KWONG ROAD
    MA TAU CHUNG ROAD, SUNG WONG TOI ROAD, FU NING STREET
    MONG KOK ROAD, PORTLAND STREET
    MONG KOK ROAD, TONG MI ROAD, ANCHOR STREET, FUK TSUN STREET
    NATHAN ROAD, ARGYLE STREET
    NATHAN ROAD, AUSTIN ROAD
    NATHAN ROAD, GASCOIGNE ROAD, KANSU STREET
    NATHAN ROAD, KIMBERLEY ROAD
    NATHAN ROAD, MONG KOK ROAD
    NATHAN ROAD, SHANTUNG STREET
    NATHAN ROAD, WATERLOO ROAD
    NATHAN ROAD,CHEUNG SHA WAN ROAD,BOUNDARY STREET

SHA TSUI ROAD, TAI HO ROAD
    TING KOK ROAD, YUEN SHIN ROAD, DAI FUK STREET
    TSEUK LUK STREET, HONG KEUNG STREET
    TSUEN KAM INTERCHANGE, TEXACO ROAD NORTH
    TSUEN TSING INTERCHANGE, TSUEN WAN ROAD
    WATERLOO ROAD, ARGYLE STREET, PRINCESS MARGARET ROAD
    WATERLOO ROAD, RUTLAND QUADRANT, DURHAM ROAD
    YUEN WO ROAD, FO TAN ROAD

Again easy to blame the driver but it is usually more nuanced than that.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Any law has to take into account the retrofitability. Buses have a working life of around 20 years so waiting for new buses to come along.

There will be 3 options that I can see

1) The government assess what's best for society and introduces a raft of new laws requiring driver aids, safety measures, mandatory training and retraining, sensible rest / work time and switching some of the onus to the operators not the drivers to ensure compliance
    2) The driver of this bus survives and as soon as he is better gets his day in court and gets 2 years in prison to serve as a warning
    3) The driver dies and we forget about it until the next one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3hXPTekx5O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgpUshwy38

It is easy to say hang 'em high but really given the frequency of start /stop and the inclines in this town this tragic accident should of been avoided with legislation for a missing-driver alarm for the parking brake. Such devices reinforce good habits that can get sloppy over time

No retrofitting needed- just leave the vehicle in gear, period. Prevents this type of accident. No cost except education/information campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    No retrofitting needed- just leave the vehicle in gear, period. Prevents this type of accident. No cost except education/information campaign.
    Fully disagree.

When simple low cost technology exists to force 'good' behaviour. It should be used. Using strategy of hope usually ends in tears.

Original Post Deleted
    Careless driving conviction could be a simple as not seeing someone when you are reversing and having a near miss with a pedestrian gawping at their phone. I sure many of us think we are great drivers but all of us can probably point to a near'ish miss at some point.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It is sad to see what a party will do to keep power.

Fully disagree.

When simple low cost technology exists to force 'good' behaviour. It should be used. Using strategy of hope usually ends in tears.

Sure, retrofit with alarms, fine, long-term solution. Short-term solution- illegal to park/leave a vehicle in neutral. There is apparently a large segment of the population that thinks parking in neutral is the correct procedure, not being careless, but deliberately choosing neutral as the go-to option. Education/laws can change this mindset.
    MerMer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Sure, retrofit with alarms, fine, long-term solution. Short-term solution- illegal to park/leave a vehicle in neutral. There is apparently a large segment of the population that thinks parking in neutral is the correct procedure, not being careless, but deliberately choosing neutral as the go-to option. Education/laws can change this mindset.
    I looks like accident in North Point that the vehicle could still be idling. Bad driver habit but you see many minibus drivers leave their vehicles running as they get out for a few secounds

Careless driving conviction could be a simple as not seeing someone when you are reversing and having a near miss with a pedestrian gawping at their phone. I sure many of us think we are great drivers but all of us can probably point to a near'ish miss at some point.
    Really EC? In over 40 years of driving I have managed to avoid a careless driving charge and as far as I know nobody I know has picked one up.