View Poll Results: Should pets be allow on MTR trains?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 36.73%
  • No

31 63.27%
Like Tree82Likes

Should pets be allow on MTR trains?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If you want to make any objective generalisation about country A vs country B, use stats. Violent crime, drug abuse, literacy, teenage pregnancy, divorce, unemployment, treatment of elderly, life expectancy and rates of animal abuse are good places to start.

Bernadette J W likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    If you want to make any objective generalisation about country A vs country B, use stats. Violent crime, drug abuse, literacy, teenage pregnancy, divorce, unemployment, treatment of elderly, life expectancy and rates of animal abuse are good places to start.
    Speaking of sweeping generalisations without any basis in research, weren't you arguing just the other week that
    Many suicides are for petty reasons like attention seeking, extreme self-centredness, etc. So yeah they need to pull themselves together
    I don't recall you ever quoting a single 'stat' on this site, so it's a tad hypocritical for this attitude to come out now.
    Last edited by jgl; 16-12-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    If a foreigner comes to a country and makes a negative generalisation about the entire native population, it's going to "make trouble". I'm not sure what kind of audience you think you have on this site.
    I think that I have an idea about some of the members on this site. When someone said that one thing she did not like about mainland students was that they hit each other 'jokingly' hard and it was something she did not like, I replied that after teaching mainland students, I have never witnessed that type of behaviour. I went onto say that being British, I have witnessed some drunk British men attacking other British men for no reason (3 incidents right next to me) but I would not say that all British men attack others British men and my post was taken down by the administration for being off topic, yet the one about mainland students stayed up. Anyway, I had better get back to animals on the MTR; otherwise my post will be deleted. In fact, I am surprised my posts have not been deleted already! I do not think it is a good idea to take pets on the MTR because it is too crowded already and they may be frightened.
    Last edited by Bernadette J W; 16-12-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette J W:
    I think that I have an idea about some of the members on this site. When someone said that one thing she did not like about mainland students was that they hit each other 'jokingly' hard and it was something she did not like, I replied that after teaching mainland students, I have never witnessed that type of behaviour. I went onto say that being British, I have witnessed some drunk British men attacking other British men for no reason (3 incidents right next to me) but I would not say that all British men attack others British men and my post was taken down by the administration for being off topic, yet the one about mainland students stayed up. Anyway, I had better get back to animals on the MTR; otherwise my post will be deleted. In fact, I am surprised my posts have not been deleted already! I do not think it is a good idea to take pets on the MTR because it is too crowded already and they may be frightened.
    FFS Bernadette, you have reached 100 posts all basically going on about the same thing. There is no group of posters on here out to get you, we are all different. Different backgrounds, different experiences, different attitudes. Some wealthy, some poor.,Some right wing, some left wing. Many are married to locals. We argue strongly with a great deal of abuse thrown in. Our posts are frequently deleted and we sonetimes go too far and get temporarily banned. Some get permanently banned. That is life online, as my kids would say "just chill-ax".
    shri, kimwy66, Edwardstorm and 3 others like this.

Dog ownership is low in HK but still if you want to own a dog you should treat public spaces and dogs with respect - pay for a taxi...

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Dog ownership is low in HK but still if you want to own a dog you should treat public spaces and dogs with respect - pay for a taxi...
    If my arithmetic is correct, that's still just over 10% of households in HK.

(Average household in HK being 2.8 people)

Going back to the OP's question - I as a dog lover and a parent of two adopted puppies.... I think pets should be allowed on MTRs. As long as pet parents follow certain guidelines/rules I honestly don't think it will cause too much drama/chaos... HK government can also help play a part in educating the public about very basic pet parent etiquettes.I'm not a policy maker but a few examples can be things like:- if it is a certain breed (big dogs) or over a certain weight (20kg?) then it must be muzzled - it must be in a pet carrier etc - must clean if there is an accident, obviously... etc- maybe one carriage can be designated to pet parents, so people going in can expect there to be pets

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscorgi:
    Going back to the OP's question - I as a dog lover and a parent of two adopted puppies.... I think pets should be allowed on MTRs. As long as pet parents follow certain guidelines/rules I honestly don't think it will cause too much drama/chaos... HK government can also help play a part in educating the public about very basic pet parent etiquettes.I'm not a policy maker but a few examples can be things like:- if it is a certain breed (big dogs) or over a certain weight (20kg?) then it must be muzzled - it must be in a pet carrier etc - must clean if there is an accident, obviously... etc- maybe one carriage can be designated to pet parents, so people going in can expect there to be pets
    sounds like a shed load of work for the government to oversee or should I say, police? . or they ( the govt) could just do nothing and save themselves all the public liability legal irritation.. HK might adopt Beijing style dog bans in the city...I reckon dogs will lose more privileges than they'll gain, in the HKSAR.

Put very simplistically, Hong Kong just has too many people, so how could your idea, actually work ?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 19-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Dogs and any other pets that smell/ make sounds, should not be allowed on public transport. They are a nuisance and their owners aren't really on the ball as they are always tired and can't be bothered. I envisage lots of shit and piss on the trains and buses if this is allowed. There are already other groups who have readily volunteered for these duties, so we are full.

@curiouscorgi for future reference, any point you want to make about dogs will be completely undermined if you use the phrase "pet parent."

hullexile, Edwardstorm and kimwy66 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast