Reply
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13
Like Tree102Likes

HK Schools: National Anthem Law

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    13,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    Here's an example of a court in Canada which banned a group from distributing pamphlets on the street. Perhaps you'll agre with this one because it suits your values? Schools everywhere will ask students not to do things that don't represent the school values particularly if they are wearing school uniforms and/or are near the campus. It could be anything from hairstyle to smoking/drinking, acting out, religious propaganda etc... Once again, you continue to ignore the fact that NOTHING has happened to those kids in terms of consequence yet you are happy to leap to make the great leap forward to arrests. You seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that most schools/teachers and administrators CARE about the students they have and calling the police is always a last resort for very serious offences. You act as if schools in HK are infiltrated and run by China's agents.
    https://www.toronto.com/news-story/7519663-court-order-sought-to-stop-graphic-anti-abortion-imagery-in-toronto/
    Not really that similar is it? This was a question of decency - the use of graphic images that could upset certain segments in society. Not about stopping the message.

    Anymore?

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    Here's an example of a court in Canada which banned a group from distributing pamphlets on the street. Perhaps you'll agre with this one because it suits your values? Schools everywhere will ask students not to do things that don't represent the school values particularly if they are wearing school uniforms and/or are near the campus. It could be anything from hairstyle to smoking/drinking, acting out, religious propaganda etc... Once again, you continue to ignore the fact that NOTHING has happened to those kids in terms of consequence yet you are happy to leap to make the great leap forward to arrests. You seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that most schools/teachers and administrators CARE about the students they have and calling the police is always a last resort for very serious offences. You act as if schools in HK are infiltrated and run by China's agents.
    https://www.toronto.com/news-story/7519663-court-order-sought-to-stop-graphic-anti-abortion-imagery-in-toronto/
    You are naive if you believe there are no card carrying members of the CCP in every school, university, office, police station, library and institution in HK.

    And stop smashing your strawman. Nobody thinks Joe Bloggs's son is going to prison for mumbling the words to the anthem. Literally nobody thinks that but you protest it in every post. Ludicrous.

    The next Nathan Law or Joshua Wong are the ones that will be at risk when this law is passed. Not a Western kid in Harrow or whatever. It will just be another tool to persecute those Beijing already fears.
    East_coast and Gatts like this.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    What most of you are doing is equivalent to saying things like: Hey, China crushed student protests in the streets so it's just a matter of time before tanks roll in HK.
    I think you'll find they didn't crush the protests, they just crushed the students. Under tanks.
    East_coast likes this.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    You are naive if you believe there are no card carrying members of the CCP in every school, university, office, police station, library and institution in HK.



    And no doubt, we are all being watched and monitored on this site. Be afraid, very afraid. One day there will be a knock on your door at night....

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    <removed annoying emoticons>

    And no doubt, we are all being watched and monitored on this site. Be afraid, very afraid. One day there will be a knock on your door at night....
    What, in Tokyo?

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem


    And no doubt, we are all being watched and monitored on this site. Be afraid, very afraid. One day there will be a knock on your door at night....
    Nah, Chinese Government adopts a free, hands-off liberal approach to the Internet.. they are happy for anything to go there.

    Same way as they never persecute their citizens or would use any new laws to intimidate those they don't like and fear.
    Gatts and HK_Katherine like this.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    13,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem


    And no doubt, we are all being watched and monitored on this site. Be afraid, very afraid. One day there will be a knock on your door at night....
    I have tried to re-read the thread to try to understand the arguments.

    On one side people seem concerned that the executive branch of government will use the Law to intimidate or prosecute students that hold different views.

    As far as I cam tell from your counter arguments there have been several.

    - Hong Kong is a mature society and the Hong Kong government or its agents will not abuse the law to target students with political opposed views

    - Every country curtails the legal political views of students even when outside the confines of the school

    - China is watching what you say on this forum

    - Right to oppose the government is not an issue in China

    and a few others. It is a little confusing reading back through the posts.
    Last edited by East_coast; 14-01-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Reply
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13