Like Tree118Likes

HK Schools: National Anthem Law

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I think that in general, China like most countries has tried to make the life of its citizen better in terms of providing riches and they are big on trying to instill national pride. That is a challenge for any large country with different populations. There will always be loads to criticize because there are always different sides and viewpoints like most large countries. There always has to be a carrot and a stick, that is the same everywhere, the difference is often as to the size of the stick and the carrot and how they are wielded and offered. I pointed out in a previous post that laws against flag desecrations are very common around the world and so is using punishment to ensure proper behavior. Perhaps you can offer an opinion as to how you think the government could get schools and students to adopt the national anthem in a more positive way? I do think it's possible but it would likely take more time and money. If and when they actually put a kid in jail for disrespecting the anthem, I might be more concerned, until then, it's what I said. Tempest in a tea cup

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Playing on words to be disingenuous. Who forced the issue on the kneeling protest? The president of the US. Whether, it's a law, a rule or whatever you want to call it. They are trying to force people to do something they don't want in order to honor or establish a tradition and if you don't, you are punished.

in Canada, some are trying to do the same in order to assimilate or integrate them into society.
    That's factually incorrect actually and that only concerns public-facing civil servants and the point isn't exactly integration but for civil servants to present an apolitical and non-religious front in the public.

In any case telling some people not to do something and telling everyone they must do something aren't exactly the same thing.
    shri and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:

would you have any comparison to before the yellow umbrella movement on whether the supporters are now politically motivated or they are really there for football and booing the national anthem happened to be just part of the fun ?
    Can't remember if it happened before then but it's been happening for a while. There is one guy who I've seen a few times standing up giving a double one fingered salute yelling 'Fuck China!' for the duration of the anthem. Some people get really into it.

Original Post Deleted
    Sure, it makes total sense to try to change more than a billion people to accommodate a city. Totally logical. You have all the answers to criticize but none when it comes to something that makes sense and might work for everyone.

Original Post Deleted
    Well isn't it nice to play on words in order to avoid a point... If you want to play dictionary, how about words like revile or outrage? The point remains that in many if not most countries, there are laws protecting elements of national pride and even when it's not completely illegal, there are repercussions like the kneeling issue in the US. Before getting your panties in a bunch about what is being implemented in HK, it would be good to see how it will be managed. As I said, when I see a kid going to jail for this, I'll start paying attention until then, it's just the usual China bashing for every little thing.

Original Post Deleted
    Because they don't govern freely in Hong Kong.

In the system where they can freely govern they have improved the lives of millions.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rty-reduction/

Original Post Deleted
    Wow that is so simple, I wonder why the human race still faces poverty, wars, crimes, drugs...All that we have to do to fix everything is let people be free That is such a realistic and easy thing to do...

India is freer and more democratic than China... Funny how that hasn't really helped them do better.

Original Post Deleted
    How amusing and entertaining...You make the rules, arbitrate them, decide what my point is for me and declare yourself a winner. Sounds like a very Chinese thing to do Maybe you have a future in government in China

India is freer and more democratic than China... Funny how that hasn't really helped them do better.
    Regina, is that you?

Name:  scm_opinion_0111.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  41.6 KB
    coffee_break likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast