Like Tree118Likes

HK Schools: National Anthem Law

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sure, they'll send in the tanks because kids are not singing the anthem

How many have been put in prison so far for misbehaving during the anthem at sports events? Scaremongering with no evidence

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Lucky we both left then isn't it?

People have different views and what you think is obvious sometimes turns out correct and sometimes wrong. I can't believe some people never learned that.
    There are too many example of seemingly "silly or trivial" laws that will "never be used" to ignore this. Look at he homosexuality laws in the UK in the 70's. People by then realised that it was not really something that should be criminal, and police turned a "blind eye" provided things were discrete .... but if someone really wanted to fck someone else over and made it public there was not much police could do. Too many examples. Too many ways that it could be used to blackmail people.

These kinds of laws are ridiculous. Yes, they are common across Asia. But that's just because Asia has a backward command and control mentality. Respect is not something you legislate. It's something you earn. Always has been.

Probably not but it is all what ifs and scare stories so far.

You know you live in a dictatorship, why are you surprised when it behaves like a dictatorship?
    I think the big change is now young kids must fear the power of the CCP if you don't sing their song. Sounds a little dramatic but I can't think of any other reason for the law to apply to schools

Original Post Deleted
    I suspect the first 'victims' will be members of school democracy clubs and the such like at the pro-authoritarian leaning schools.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    There are too many example of seemingly "silly or trivial" laws that will "never be used" to ignore this. Look at he homosexuality laws in the UK in the 70's. People by then realised that it was not really something that should be criminal, and police turned a "blind eye" provided things were discrete .... but if someone really wanted to fck someone else over and made it public there was not much police could do. Too many examples. Too many ways that it could be used to blackmail people.

These kinds of laws are ridiculous. Yes, they are common across Asia. But that's just because Asia has a backward command and control mentality. Respect is not something you legislate. It's something you earn. Always has been.
    I don't think the law is "silly or trivial" (why put that in quotation marks when I didn't say it?), I just don't think it will lead to a major clampdown. Yes perhaps it could turn out to be another brick in the wall (to keep the Pink Floyd links going) but that wall is already almost complete.

America has a similar attitude if not laws, I don't think this is just an Asian thing. A Brazilian once told me it was the case there too. It is not a European thing I agree. Yes the laws are ridiculous and respect should be earned.
    imparanoic likes this.

What the China bashers and scaremongers seem to conveniently forget is that Hk is administered by HK people. The political is heavily manipulated by China but on the ground, the teachers, policemen, school administrators are all local people and many if not most have little love for the mainland. On top of it, students in HK are generally fairly obedient so this is a complete non issue. Nothing will happen, anthem will play, kids will mumble, life goes on just like in every country or schools where this is done.

You think that teachers and administrators in schools are going to call the police on kids and that they will come and arrest them? In international schools, the majority of the staff is foreign. That is beyond ridiculous and there's zero evidence suggesting that it might.

Then saying that this could have been used against protests a few years ago... if it was as bad as you think, they could have used plenty of other laws and excuses to crush it but they didn't. On the contrary, it's an example that it's scaremongering to think that this will be anything more than a minor change trying to make HK and its people belong to China a little more

imparanoic likes this.

America has a similar attitude if not laws, I don't think this is just an Asian thing. A Brazilian once told me it was the case there too. It is not a European thing I agree. Yes the laws are ridiculous and respect should be earned.
    In 2003 the French enacted a law protecting both the flag and the amthem from being desecrated. The German criminal code includes a section on “defamation of the state and its symbols”. It states that “whoever publicly … insults the colours, flag, coat of arms or the anthem of the Federal Republic of Germany or one of its states shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding three years or a fine”.

Original Post Deleted
    Big difference between targeting politicians and going to arrest school kids... Are there thousands of examples of kids being rounded up in China because they are not singing the anthem? Is the police storming the stadium in HK to beat and arrest the people that are booing? Are they being kidnapped from their homes for doing so?

All I see is a few people pissed off because China continues to encroach into HK and lashing out with silly doomsday scenarios that make no sense and that are not supported by any evidence

Original Post Deleted
    Here we go with the insults because someone has a different opinion and you have nothing intelligent to say. Do you ever say to your kids that if they don't have something nice to say, they might keep it to themselves or do you use your usual foul language and insults with them too? You are as predictable as China

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    You think that teachers and administrators in schools are going to call the police on kids and that they will come and arrest them?
    Yes

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/09/0...sure-asserted/

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast