Like Tree25Likes

Woman killed by falling window in TST

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Woman killed by falling window in TST

Woman killed by falling window in Tsim Sha Tsui - RTHK
    The window struck her as she was walking along Nathan Road at around 10.30am.
    It was believed to have fallen from an office above the Mira Place shopping mall, from the 16th floor.

Horrible, now the cleaner who opened the window will likely face jail time for this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Horrible, now the cleaner who opened the window will likely face jail time for this.
    Is there a law making her responsible for this? Shouldn't whoever owns the window or was responsible for maintenance should face jail time over this. Opening a window is part of its function, is it not?

Edit: The building department places the liability for inspection on repair on the owner/owners corporation
    TheBrit and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    depends if she forced opened the window or tampered with the window mechanism, but if it was faulty in the first place, then the window cleaner is innocent and should not be punished

And...the cleaner has been arrested.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...g-street-after

Not only would the cleaner NOT have been arrested in the US, she would have turned around and sued the hotel for inflicting emotional distress on HER for causing the death of the mainland woman...wow, night and day difference...

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 21-01-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    markranson and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    depends if she forced opened the window or tampered with the window mechanism, but if it was faulty in the first place, then the window cleaner is innocent and should not be punished
    You're guessing and unfamiliar with the laws. The charge is allowing an object to fall from heights. I experienced this in the past, no one was injured, and it was a big deal. If the window falls into a public space I guess it's big trouble.

I doubt the cleaner intended to make the window fall, people just don't do that. Clearly it was an accident, and whether by defect or not, in HK blame will be placed on the cleaner and potentially the owner of the building too. There may be mitigating factors but I forsee a fine and jail time to the cleaner and at minimum a fine to the building owner.
    Last edited by MandM!; 21-01-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Amazing how people emit all kinds of opinions with very little knowledge of the fact. By the way, being arrested doesn't mean she will be charged. As it should, there's an investigation going on and once all the facts are known, they'll make a decision if charges are to be brought forward. I imagine some of the same people calling it BS would be up in arms and calling on the incompetence of the police for letting let her go if she was in the wind and it was found that there was negligence or malice on her part.

flameproof likes this.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-failed-comply
    According to Buildings Department records, The Park Lane, King’s Hotel and V Hotel and Serviced Apartments in Causeway Bay, and the Guangdong Hotel and a Marco Polo hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui have not carried out instructions issued as far back as 2013.

By the way, being arrested doesn't mean she will be charged.
    Wonderful wiki says

An arrest is the act of apprehending a person and taking them into custody, usually because they have been suspected of committing or planning a crime. After the person is taken into custody, they can be questioned further and/or charged. An arrest is a procedure in a criminal justice system.
    I think she should not have been arrested. Informally questioned yes, but not arrested, which implies she was cautioned.

But I do agree with you on the sentiment of people jumping to conclusions.
    jgl and angeluscomplex like this.

Is stupidity a crime? Maybe there was something obvious about the window and most people would have been clever/aware enough to realize what would happen... Reminds me of the repeated times a cleaner for us opened our 30th floor window with our cats right there...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast