Like Tree4Likes

HK youths: glued to their screens and ‘alarmingly’ unfit

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Took a quick look and Australia scores lower than HK in overall physical fitness and government involvement? I don't understand how this survey has been structured, nor could I find an explanation on the site.
    I guess they look at the incidences of overweight+ kids and then draw inference that because they are overweight, the systems are failing.

I put the blame on parents... or lack of it.

Interestingly, no one has ever thought they were wrong and guarantee you on this that 99% of parents think they are doing a fab job at raising their kids.

Original Post Deleted
    Could be that weight is factored in, but the lack of clarity around the survey makes it impossible for me to infer anything. That 'rubric' tab is very opaque.

Access to cheap sports facilities and organises activities is possible here, but I'd argue that it's the casual access to parks and culture of just going out to play that's more important. In Australia the local bike park always has kids hanging out in it. I've seen two decent bike parks in HK, one has fallen into disrepair after the Asian Games event that it was built for, and the other is permanently locked behind a fence.

Similarly with Japan- each time I go there I am impressed with how good playgrounds seem to be scattered all over the place.
    MerMer likes this.