Like Tree100Likes

Two killed, around 20 injured in bus crash

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I see from the beginning of the video that the bus driver had just pulled into the second lane from the third lane before he crashes into the lorry.

Driverless technology, driverless technology, driverless technology. Get rid of humans, reduce accidents and fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Why not put cones out?
    The truck broke down 600m past the sign that says WESTERN TUNNEL CONTROL AREA and a tow truck had been called to the scene and failed to move the truck because it was too heavy. So the very least they could have done is put a few cones out or more likely a couple of cops should have been there diverting traffic, no? Even more so within the tunnel control area, don’t they have a few heavy duty vehicles parked on the side of the road to deal with this very scenario? How can they tell the driver to unload his vehicle? Or is my google translate tool messing around with the facts?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The truck broke down 600m past the sign that says WESTERN TUNNEL CONTROL AREA
    It looks like the slip road for YMT. Again I could be wrong

I still don't understand why the van didn't stop on the left lane. If you are traveling at 60-70 in a congested road it's not always so easy to avoid a stationary van/car. If the bus had changed lanes suddenly upon seeing the van, and driven into a car or another bus, it would likely also have caused fatalities. The van driver was simply an idiot. Typical attitude of van drivers "the road belongs to me and I stop where I want".

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I still don't understand why the van didn't stop on the left lane. If you are traveling at 60-70 in a congested road it's not always so easy to avoid a stationary van/car. If the bus had changed lanes suddenly upon seeing the van, and driven into a car or another bus, it would likely also have caused fatalities. The van driver was simply an idiot. Typical attitude of van drivers "the road belongs to me and I stop where I want".
    My guess is that it stalled there much earlier when traffic was stationary.

There have been many studies over the years on why drivers hit stationary vehicles on the highways/motorways. Part of it is the expectation that other vehicles are moving and although everyone likes to say otherwise it's not always easy to tell if a vehicle is stationary or not. LIght, colour of vehicle, traffic conditions can all contribute. This part of the highway is flowing nicely, nothing to tell there is a hazard and no visual clues such as brake lights, cones, etc. If the driver was a little older then eye sight and reactions may not be as sharp either. That being said the bus still hit the lorry, however...

Where the f**k were the police? I know they're pretty shit here but over 45 mins broken down and not one car or one officer there to signal a hazard and direct traffic? Appalling. They have a lot to answer for here. Where were the Tunnel Control? This was in their area and the have the ability to close lanes. Again appalling. Can only assume total incompetence and laziness on their part.

The lorry driver has to shoulder some of the blame. To drop the ramp and obstruct the lights on an open lane of the highway? The only visual warning to other drivers that the lorry was stationary? Definitely up there for a Darwin.

Someone mentioned driverless technology. That's not there yet suffering the same issue as some humans. Was only last summer a Tesla on autopilot hit a stationary firetruck on the highway in the US. One of a quite a few accidents with driverless cars. Sadly there has been driver and pedestrian deaths. It will get better and is the way forward, just not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHK:
    I see from the beginning of the video that the bus driver had just pulled into the second lane from the third lane before he crashes into the lorry.
    Those buses all stop in the Western Harbour Crossing Toll Plaza which is about half a km past the lorry. I think he was on autopilot just moving into the lane towards the toll plaza and not even looking at the road.

All i can say is that it is not easy to spot a stationary car on a highway (especially when you have no cause to believe there is a stationary car - e.g. when traffic is smooth)

haven't any drivers experienced this when cars in front of them suddenly brake / slow down?

what is also contributing here is the inertia of the bus... would not think it is that easy to slow down such a large mass

shri and MABinPengChau like this.

Tunnel Vision in most drivers that I have noticed in the past 20 years of driving in HK. they only focus on something directly in front of them and don't look beyond which causes them to lose situational awareness.

HK_Katherine, MerMer and Skyhook like this.