Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree10Likes

Hong Kong man shot dead by police after knife attack in Yau Ma Tei

Quote Originally Posted by juanalias
    Hong Kong context is important here too. In some places, people anger slowly, and progress to dangerous levels with some sort of natural governor to the rate of escalation (all my own observation only). In Hong Kong, it seems to me that people go from everyday fella to raving psychopath is milliseconds. Perhaps I miss obvious linguistic signals of brewing trouble, being a non Canto-speaker, but it seems a real characteristic of HK interactions - when it kicks off it kicks off quick.
    I think that the escalation usually happens pretty slowly and predictably here unless someone is a complete lunatic. There's a lot of verbal to-and-fro and it almost invariably does not escalate into anything physical.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I think that the escalation usually happens pretty slowly and predictably here unless someone is a complete lunatic. There's a lot of verbal to-and-fro and it almost invariably does not escalate into anything physical.
    Yes, that's very true. Folks do seem to go from "pardon me, you appear to have stepped on my loafer" to attacks on your mother's (apparently smelly) bits very quickly. Perhaps that's because everyone knows it isn't going to get physical.
    Still strikes me as alarming and very threatening when Hong Kongers go off, even if only verbally. I guess that's the idea.

HK has very few instances of violent crimes and whether that is reflected in the police training I don’t know if this true or not. However since we do not live in a violent society we also would not have crazies applying to be cops either unlike my home country where the slightest provocation will get you 21 shots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3