Like Tree27Likes

4/20 - The Weather....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

4/20 - The Weather....

WTF just happened. The weather deteriorated in a matter of 15-20 minutes.

Went from mildly annoying to far worse than what we've seen in our area during a T-10.

Please be reminded that:

The Red Rainstorm Warning Signal was issued at 2:20 p.m.
    The Thunderstorm Warning has been issued. It will remain effective until 3:30 p.m. today. Squally thunderstorms are expected to occur over Hong Kong.
    jrkob, AmRa6, kimwy66 and 1 others like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

The rain and lightning are really bad but between 2 tall buildings around Landmark & Cheung Kong Center I saw something (mist/rain?) moving faster than anything I have seen. Maybe a mini tornado or something?

Its up.

Gusts reaching 100 kilometres per hour or above may continue to affect Hong Kong. (20-04-2019 14:25)
    https://www.weather.gov.hk/contente.htm
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

HKO website works for me. The app keeps shutting down when I check the warnings though.

“Gusts reaching 100 kilometres per hour or above may continue to affect Hong Kong.”

And everything is completely back to normal and clear now.

Sometimes weather events here can be over dramatised. This was not one of those times!

JAherbert likes this.

BBC world news weather was talking about extreme weather over HK early this morning but given the benign forecast from observatory I assumed it wasn't going to materialise... Mistake!

Left Stanley and there were still people dragon boating and no warnings in force. By the time I got to wan chai the world was ending. I can definitely see how people were badly caught out on the sea. Equal damage round our way as from the typhoon... Lots of trees down but a very quick bit of road clearance from the fire brigade so well done there.

shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

The thick band of very intense rain and thunderstorm had appeared for a few hours before it reached HK on the radar with red colour in the centre of it. Mainland Guangdong weather departments had predicted heavy rain with thunderstorm in the Pearl River Delta a few days ago. HKO should not just use the word "showers" in prediction.

For those living in HK for many years, this is not unusual in Apr to early July. It is a common thing from Southern China to South Korea and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    For those living in HK for many years, this is not unusual.....
    not this weather, recently several of those rapid intense thunderstorms from the west to east have hit hong kong, with very high winds 80-100 kmh, and matching rain, that's not our typical rainy season. glad that HKO are doing a good job.
    shri and jrkob like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast