Like Tree34Likes

new street lamps and camera

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Another opportunity bites the dust.
    Can you explain the lost opportunity of this technology. What was the benefit to the public for this public expenditure? I did speak to the team at some length and they weren't able to describe anybenefits in a concise or comprehensible way.
    Last edited by East_coast; 02-09-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Can you explain the lost opportunity of this technology. What was the benefit to the public for this public expenditure? I did speak to the team at some length and they weren't able to benefits in a concise or comprehensible way.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Can you explain the lost opportunity of this technology. What was the benefit to the public for this public expenditure? I did speak to the team at some length and they weren't able to benefits in a concise or comprehensible way.
    The opportunity for interest groups to enjoy a rich margin or tick a box for development roadmaps while promoting potential surveillance opportunities perhaps.

https://factcheck.afp.com/how-smart-...ongs-lampposts

Can you explain the lost opportunity of this technology. What was the benefit to the public for this public expenditure? I did speak to the team at some length and they weren't able to describe the benefits in a concise or comprehensible way.
    Last edited by East_coast; 17-09-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    The poles measure traffic pattern and traffic density. These can be used by stores to target their marketing - for example if you know from 2:30 -3:30 there is a surge of people, then you can get your marketers out there during that period. I am sure you can get the same info by having someone sit there and take notes or get the times schools let out their students, etc. But the issue has always been privacy. Do we really want someone to measure our footsteps?
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    The poles measure traffic pattern and traffic density. These can be used by stores to target their marketing - for example if you know from 2:30 -3:30 there is a surge of people, then you can get your marketers out there during that period. I am sure you can get the same info by having someone sit there and take notes or get the times schools let out their students, etc. But the issue has always been privacy. Do we really want someone to measure our footsteps?
    For the last decade mobile phone data has provided that on a macro level and HK has the normal vehicle detection cameras mounted on appropriate gantrys around the city where they are needed. They are not needed on street lights every 30m apart...

http://www.maths-in-industry.org/mii...Monitoring.pdf

threelittlepigs likes this.

Mobile phone data can be shared with Google Maps to determine fastest route for drivers. But I think the HK light poles were tracking foot traffic which is an important indicator in a place like HK. Landlords can use the data to set rents - eg if the north sidewalks see 10% more foot traffic, then one can argue rents should be increased on the north side of the street. Or a new retailer moves in and foot traffic increases then that retailer can quantify its impact and possibly negotiate some concessions in a rental downturn market. In HK, there are also rent concessions given for things like construction, renovations, etc, and the data from the light poles could guide those discussions. Plus I am sure some app developer will develop an app that tracks foot traffic - lets people know where the happening places are if you want to walk around or let you know where it is quieter if you want a romantic stroll or to walk your dog.

Mobile phone data can be shared with Google Maps to determine fastest route for drivers. But I think the HK light poles were tracking foot traffic which is an important indicator in a place like HK.
    What, pedestrians don't carry mobile phones in Hong Kong? Bizarre. If Google can track cars then they can track pedestrians.

Landlords can use the data to set rents - eg if the north sidewalks see 10% more foot traffic, then one can argue rents should be increased on the north side of the street.
    Why on earth should Government be spending public money to help private landlords? Does not compute.

Plus I am sure some app developer will develop an app that tracks foot traffic - lets people know where the happening places are if you want to walk around or let you know where it is quieter if you want a romantic stroll or to walk your dog.
    I'm pretty sure neither dog walkers nor star struck lovers need an app to tell them where to walk.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I'm pretty sure neither dog walkers nor star struck lovers need an app to tell them where to walk.
    This is HK. A phone app that tells people where to walk on a footpath would probably be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    This is HK. A phone app that tells people where to walk on a footpath would probably be very useful.
    That's basically Pokemon Go.
    jgl likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast