Like Tree34Likes

new street lamps and camera

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

threelittlepigs and thisdress like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    What, pedestrians don't carry mobile phones in Hong Kong? Bizarre. If Google can track cars then they can track pedestrians.

Why on earth should Government be spending public money to help private landlords? Does not compute.

k.
    Gov't could easily sell that data to people that want it. If the gov't is trying to sell the concept of smart city then they have to start somewhere, and find ways to monetise it. I could see smart light poles, combined with the celphone towers, be able to grid map out an entire city, allow traffic management systems to control the flow of traffic better, charge for use of roads, guide driverless cars, and all sorts of other uses (including surveilling the population). Even something simple like tailored marketing as pedestrians walk by - lets say you are looking for a place to have pizza, pass a smart light pole that senses your requirement and advertises all the pizzerias nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Gov't could easily sell that data to people that want it. If the gov't is trying to sell the concept of smart city then they have to start somewhere, and find ways to monetise it. I could see smart light poles, combined with the celphone towers, be able to grid map out an entire city, allow traffic management systems to control the flow of traffic better, charge for use of roads, guide driverless cars, and all sorts of other uses (including surveilling the population). Even something simple like tailored marketing as pedestrians walk by - lets say you are looking for a place to have pizza, pass a smart light pole that senses your requirement and advertises all the pizzerias nearby.
    All of the above can be done using data from mobile phones. Doesn't look like a compelling case for smart street lights to me

A government department making a useful, clever and nimble use of technology doesn't strike me as a particularly plausible idea either.

MatthieuTofu and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK
    That is the list of where the money was spent. How would society benefit. So far the suggestions of dog walking dating apps which match dogs / owners / favourite lamp posts is the best we have.

They're seriously thinking of getting industrial quality air quality monitoring into a lamp post? 'Cause this is what their current ones look like:

EPD - Air Quality Monitoring Equipment

It's... just a little bit bulkier than your average lamp post. I've got compact, simple meters at home, but all they do are uncalibrated particle counts, and they will clog up if left running 24x7 in the dusty air here. I'm going to hazard a guess that this was a "let's throw things at a wall and see what sticks" excercise.

TheBrit and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    They're seriously thinking of getting industrial quality air quality monitoring into a lamp post? 'Cause this is what their current ones look like:

EPD - Air Quality Monitoring Equipment

It's... just a little bit bulkier than your average lamp post. I've got compact, simple meters at home, but all they do are uncalibrated particle counts, and they will clog up if left running 24x7 in the dusty air here. I'm going to hazard a guess that this was a "let's throw things at a wall and see what sticks" excercise.
    Open data for air quality is already available from the 10's of thousands of air filter machines in HK and not used. The governmenr even does not use their very limited 3 roadside stations gaming the results.

https://www.opendatasoft.com/blog/20...or-cleaner-air

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/a...own-bus-routes

I guess this is the direction we are heading towards. But Shanghai has something like 26mm people vs 8mm here.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6