Like Tree10Likes

Cordis - Sheung Wan is a "Gayborhood" (?!?)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cordis - Sheung Wan is a "Gayborhood" (?!?)

Spotted in today's Standard.

Cordis, a new hotel in Mong Kok, has trained staff to not react when gay couples check in.

Two guys appear to have booked a double bed? No problem. "You can be rest assured there will be no awkward double-checking that you wouldn't prefer single beds," says an advertorial in Gay Star News. "You also won't find 'his' or 'her' toiletries."

The location was good too, Gay Star News adds, as Mong Kok is gay-friendly. "The Sheung Wan 'gayborhood' is about 35 minutes on the subway."

I had no idea Sheung Wan was a gayborhood, or even what that actually means.

Do you have to be gay to enter Sheung Wan now?

How do people tell?
    Hotel a short hop from the gayborhood - The Standard

Look out for Brighton football shirts? [emoji12]

Huh, who knew? I work in Sheung Wan so just looked up some gay bars and were a couple near my old office location...guess I missed that. Never noticed lot of gay people but only there during work hours, maybe there is more excitement on the weekends than I realized... Probably should ask my (not gay) business partner as for some reason he sets off the "gaydar" and gets hit on rather regularly...

My daughter, upon going to Tokyo for the first time and seeing all the guys fussing with their hair asked me if they were all gay...

chuckster007 and jgl like this.

That's the most cringeworthy portmanteau I have seen for a long, long time.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    That's the most cringeworthy portmanteau I have seen for a long, long time.
    apparently, sony usa /playstation usa, did a super limited ver of ps4 rainbow coloured called the 'gaystation 4' that was super cringey, there again, there was a great game on ps2 called god hand, twin gay wrestler body builder's dialongue was so campy and cringing, it was kinda funny in a 'bruno' way.

We also didn't know Sheung Wan had any "gay" area vibe until a friend of ours staying at the Holiday Inn Express told us that Jervois turns into quite a night scene. I guess we never go out late...

shri, MABinPengChau and spode like this.

Um, silly names aside, you do see a lot of gay couples in Sheung Wan. Definitely up around the Hollywood Road area. It's not the Castro, but it's above the HK average.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    We also didn't know Sheung Wan had any "gay" area vibe until a friend of ours staying at the Holiday Inn Express told us that Jervois turns into quite a night scene. I guess we never go out late...
    The only time I was out late was staying late for work then only want to run to the ferry, you could have been having sex openly in the street and I would not have noticed or cared.

But, yeah, art gallery part will attract art-loving types of which there are going to be many gay couples...

Jervois street is where there is a gay bar, basically right behind my old office- doubt it was serving lunch which was my main concern...
    Elegiaque likes this.

Meh, I could really do without the bloody art galleries and new hipster cafes though. The gentrification of that area has been particularly pretentious.

Elegiaque and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Meh, I could really do without the bloody art galleries and new hipster cafes though. The gentrification of that area has been particularly pretentious.
    With really shit over-priced coffee!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast