Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Lawmakers endorse plan for HK$7.7 billion desalination plant

Anything that reduces reliance on Dongjiang is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    Desalination is not environmentally friendly, doubly bad when the large electricity demands come from coal-fired power stations. It can best be described as a human-friendly project
    I remember reading a comment saying desalination plants were bad because they would lower the sea level

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia
    Anything that reduces reliance on Dongjiang is a good thing.
    Why?

I'm not sure we can call what the plant will produce "drinking water" as by the time it gets to your house it'll have ventured through some overly dosed lead pipes.

I wonder how many flats could have been built on the eight hectare site instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    I'm not sure we can call what the plant will produce "drinking water" as by the time it gets to your house it'll have ventured through some overly dosed lead pipes.
    The lead thing is a very specific last mile issue.

Or am I missing something that affects our general water supply in HK?
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    The lead thing is a very specific last mile issue.

Or am I missing something that affects our general water supply in HK?
    You may be wrong. Think of Flint Michigan but without the controls and oversight.

When I read around the lead leeching issue in Hong Kong (that was no ones fault according to Carrie Lam - Although it looked like the main contractor was at fault for not having approved vendor / material lists, no checks and a disregard for known public health issues of lead based solder) there used to be the issue of Lead Leaching as a practice that used to happen to brass faucets. Many of these were made in China. I think the parts got submerged in a tank with chemicals and the Lead would be pulled from the surface, This heavy metal laden 'water' was obviously disposed of carefully.

One official suggested one of the big drivers for California to introduce lead free brass laws were the woeful environmental controls in China for lead leeching. Feels Ironic that China has to rely on California to improve environmental controls. Anyway 50% of the world's Lead is still consumed by industry in China so the last mile may not be the biggest risk if you live in a building under 50 years old and not built by a certain SEO construction company.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2