Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
Like Tree27Likes

Uniformed taxi drivers, trained with customer service skills. Will it work?

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,345
    Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6
    It is a great idea in theory but the problem with small companies like XAB is in a big city with 18,000 taxis, even if I want to take them I can’t find them. I haven’t seen this company and I wouldn’t use the app because the HK Taxi app has thousands of taxis while this has 15.
    Huh, I had missed the numbers initially. 15 taxis after a year of operation? Not exactly useful, then.


    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    We all complain about taxi drivers, but how much more would we be willing to pay (in time, convenience and money) for better service?
    I'd be completely fine for 50% more. But I don't think that the fundamental issue is the fare amount, it's the concentration of power being with the owner of the licences. If fares suddenly jumped 50%, where do you think the vast bulk of extra revenue will go- to the drivers?
    AmRa6 likes this.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,755

    Yes, jgl is right - all those who are saying shoddy taxi's, shoddy drivers are because of the fares are completely wrong.

    All the Government needs to do is to issue new taxi licenses to anyone who wants one, for a nominal price. Then, drivers wages would go up even as fare remained the same. It would also free up the market to new entrants. There is zero cost to the Government, they could do this tomorrow and it would improve the lives of both taxi drivers and customers.

    Vested interests controlling Legco will ensure this never happens.

    Sith, UK/HKboy, AmRa6 and 1 others like this.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,867

    I think one of the reasons for the difference in service of Uber drivers and taxi drivers is accountability.

    Uber drivers get directly rated by the passenger and get penalised if they offer bad service a number of times. Its impossible to have taxi drivers accountable if they refuse your trip, and does complaining about bad service to the numbers provided do anything?

    I understand the rating system is not perfect and can be abused, but it certainly seems a reason for better service.

    TheBrit likes this.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    111

    What do Uber ratings do? I just get who I get, I don’t have a chance to be selective based on rating.

    Perhaps for Uber since the driver owns the car they have more invested so they offer better service?

    A simple government test for sanity would weed out most of the worst offenders in the taxi trade as I have had some literally mentally deranged drivers.
    That being said I have had some of the nicest taxi drivers too.


  5. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    15,029
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Yes, jgl is right - all those who are saying shoddy taxi's, shoddy drivers are because of the fares are completely wrong.

    All the Government needs to do is to issue new taxi licenses to anyone who wants one, for a nominal price. Then, drivers wages would go up even as fare remained the same. It would also free up the market to new entrants. There is zero cost to the Government, they could do this tomorrow and it would improve the lives of both taxi drivers and customers.

    Vested interests controlling Legco will ensure this never happens.
    Unfortunately your analysis is flawed. It would not just result in higher wages for drivers

    Part of the formula for deciding the rate of taxi fare increase is the the rent the drivers must pay the the rent seeking licence holders. So if sufficient licences were printed to meet demand the pay for drivers would increase and the cost of taxis to the consumer would come down
    Last edited by East_coast; 27-05-2019 at 07:32 PM.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Unfortunately your analysis is flawed. It would not just result in higher wages for drivers

    Part of the formula for deciding the rate of taxi fare increase is the the rent the drivers must pay the the rent seeking licence holders. So if sufficient licences were printed to meet demand the pay for drivers would increase and the cost of taxis to the consumer would come down
    The fare tariff is set by the TD. If fares hold steady (as I suggested) and drivers don't have to pay rent seeking license holders... Voila.. Higher income for drivers.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    15,029
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The fare tariff is set by the TD using a formula that includes licence rental costs
    Fixed for you.


    You would expect the TD to change a way of doing something?

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    15,029

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Fixed for you.


    You would expect the TD to change a way of doing something?
    They wouldn't need to do anything. The fare tariff doesn't change by itself.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6
    What do Uber ratings do? I just get who I get, I don’t have a chance to be selective based on rating.

    Perhaps for Uber since the driver owns the car they have more invested so they offer better service?
    If an Uber rating drops too low (for drivers and riders) they can be banned from the app.
    AmRa6 likes this.

Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6