Like Tree50Likes

HK$ 100 for 1KM Cab Ride - Driver Arrested

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HK$ 100 for 1KM Cab Ride - Driver Arrested

Asia's finest have swung into action to take on the local taxi drivers...

“Before boarding the taxi, the driver told the undercover agents the fare was HK$100,” a police spokesman said. Police said the usual amount for such a journey was HK$24.

After reaching the hotel and paying the fare, the officers identified themselves and arrested the driver for overcharging, which carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a HK$10,000 fine.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...re-sting-after

i would have to guess the undercover cannot be hker looking.. which idiotic cab driver would try to charge a hker 100hkd to travel 1km ?! and knowingly get into trouble.

shri, MatthieuTofu and Scorpio01 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    i would have to guess the undercover cannot be hker looking.. which idiotic cab driver would try to charge a hker 100hkd to travel 1km ?! and knowingly get into trouble.
    They've recently hired a top notch french detective who dresses in pink and walks around like a panther.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Well it was 1am in Lan Kwai Fong, I think that's the right time and place to find all the crooked taxi drivers ripping everyone off regardless of what they look like.

During normal hours, I reckon if @HK_Katherine is looking for a new job she would do well at this type of work and really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    During normal hours, I reckon if @HK_Katherine is looking for a new job she would do well at this type of work and really enjoy it.
    I would do it for free if given the job, that and busting people on the phone when driving.

Generally, the taxis here don't cheat.

I've only experienced them trying it a few times. These were:

- At LKF/ the mid-levels/ Wan Chai late at night.
    - Going up the Peak during any particularly busy time.

Never paid over the odds myself.

Of far greater annoyance are those that will only take you where they want.

TheBrit, Stu79 and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    They've recently hired a top notch french detective who dresses in pink and walks around like a panther.
    Sounds eerily similar to a 'gal' who used to catch the same Edmonton Line from London to Seven Sisters as me back in the late 1990s. I hope this job pays better than the one in London.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I would do it for free if given the job, that and busting people on the phone when driving.
    I already do bust taxi drivers who overcharge for free! I've spent 2 hours at a police station recently giving a detailed statement about one incident.....
    shri and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    Generally, the taxis here don't cheat.

I've only experienced them trying it a few times. These were:

- At LKF/ the mid-levels/ Wan Chai late at night.
    - Going up the Peak during any particularly busy time.

Never paid over the odds myself.

Of far greater annoyance are those that will only take you where they want.
    You clearly don't take them often from the airport. I would say more than 50% try to overcharge on luggage fees at minimum from the airport. Some also do odd things with the toll charges.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast