Like Tree69Likes

Extradition Bill closes a loophole - “absolute nonsense”

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Extradition Bill closes a loophole - “absolute nonsense”

Seen on Apple Daily and HKFP...

Lord Patten, the last British governor of Hong Kong, has said that the Hong Kong government’s claim that the controversial extradition bill will close a loophole was “absolute nonsense.”

“People have known exactly why there shouldn’t be an extradition agreement with China for years, and many of the arguments put for the government’s proposals don’t actually pass the laugh-off-your-seat test,” Chris Patten said in a new video message issued on Thursday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEvalUQuClE

HKFP Transcripton:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/06/0...lute-nonsense/
    spode and MatthieuTofu like this.

Spotted in The Standard:

“People have known exactly why there shouldn’t be an extradition agreement with China for years, and many of the arguments put for the government’s proposals don’t actually pass the laugh-off-your-seat test,”

“The argument that, well, it’s better to have an extradition treaty than to abduct people illegally from Hong Kong – are people really supposed to believe that?”
    JAherbert, Gatts, spode and 1 others like this.

HKSAR has warmly embraced Trump politics, just lie

It's not like there is an alternative. Just make up some excuse and shove it down people's throats.

There is no ‘loophole’ Sir Malcolm Rifkind, KCMG QC

From someone involved at the time

it is absurd to state that the handover negotiators accidentally left a “loophole” in the extradition legislation because they did not have time

Perhaps it was a case of not having time. Perhaps they hadn't heard of China....

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...-law-rather-it

Valid as his view may be, and that of Patten in the similar thread, I am not sure what they are hoping to achieve with these public opinions. My view is that it will just harden Beijing's attitude so be totally counter-productive.

He's just a "a sinner for a thousand years", “prostitute” and “tango dancer" ... I don't think Beijing will change its attitude whatever anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Valid as his view may be, and that of Patten in the similar thread, I am not sure what they are hoping to achieve with these public opinions. My view is that it will just harden Beijing's attitude so be totally counter-productive.
    If something bad is happening for a place you care about it would be odd not to comment in my opinion. So far only the Executive Branch of Government and the highly aligned Liaison Office state it is the right thing to do because of two (false) reasons.

Are you suggesting people should go and protest on Sunday?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If something bad is happening for a place you care about it would be odd not to comment in my opinion. So far only the Executive Branch of Government and the highly aligned Liaison Office state it is the right thing to do because of two (false) reasons.

Are you suggesting people should go and protest on Sunday?
    I have already said I support the protests so not sure what the last sentence means.

There is having views and there is announcing them in the SCMP. Counterproductive IMO.

Things could go beyond just a protest march on Sunday, from the looks of this RTHK story:

https://twitter.com/rthk_enews/statu...53399866945536

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast