Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Contingency Planning for US and Canadian Citizens in HK

Quote Originally Posted by worldcitizen
    I thought the Chinese Government likes to kick their dissidents out of China, not extraditing them back....and there is nothing random about a senior expat holding powerful positions in US and Canadian multinationals.
    Nah they don't kick them out. They will hold them in a cell and you won't hear of them again. The dissidents leave the country while they can.

I'm not sure what most people have to worry about since they only target who they see as issues or criminals. The main problem I think is that their justice system assumes you guilty by default. That puts a lot of power in the people who can bring forth the charges and indict.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55
    Nah they don't kick them out. They will hold them in a cell and you won't hear of them again. The dissidents leave the country while they can.

I'm not sure what most people have to worry about since they only target who they see as issues or criminals. The main problem I think is that their justice system assumes you guilty by default. That puts a lot of power in the people who can bring forth the charges and indict.
    Many people are senior executives of companies or own their own business. A hissy fit between Trump and Xi could easily provoke the government to make an example of some prominent figures. Rich people don't want this instability especially when there are plenty of other cheaper places to live.
    worldcitizen and biffski like this.

Do you know any Americans or Canadians making plans to leave HK?

Rich people don't want this instability especially when there are plenty of other cheaper places to live.
    These "cheap places to live" are cheap because they also limit incomes and often have other problems caused by limited incomes. Just saying..

But yes, it is indeed an option for people to move.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by worldcitizen
    Do you know any Americans or Canadians making plans to leave HK?
    No. But I've heard they'll leave when SARS 2.0 happens.

Your profile says you joined in 2006.. surely you've seen inflows and outflows related to various problems that HK has encountered.

Do you recall when the streets REALLY emptied out? The biggest exodus (temp or permanent) was when SARS happened and the second one was because the we apparently had nuclear waste tainted fish and sushi was no longer safe.. (Fukushima..)
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2