Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27
Like Tree402Likes

16/06 - March & 17/06 - General Strike

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland
    Ok they’ve just lost the high ground. Stupid !
    There were 3 protests, two peacful and one less so. Which one did Carrie say made her change her mind?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    There were 3 protests, two peacful and one less so. Which one did Carrie say made her change her mind?
    I’m not disagreeing with your point but for me last Sunday gave a much more powerful global message
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    They've WON. This is what winning looks like. Escalating further actually risks losing what has already been won.....
    They haven't, this illustrates:

https://twitter.com/HongKongFP/statu...35642626031616
    mrgoodkat and MatthieuTofu like this.

It will be interesting to see how China ( inc HKG), handle things from here, as their economy starts to visibly crumble around them from a multitude of directions. It's not going to be pretty, inevitably..

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook

It will be interesting to see how China ( inc HKG), handle things from here, as their economy starts to visibly crumble around them from a multitude of directions. It's not going to be pretty, inevitably..
    Not sure I would give much credbilty to a report on Fox Business News by the author of "China's Coming Collapse".
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Not sure I would give much credbilty to a report on Fox Business News by the author of "China's Coming Collapse".
    From personal experience I can tell you that China's economy is in the shitter right now. Nobody is buying anything and everybody is worried about their jobs and mortgages. Large parts of Dongguans industrial areas are ghost towns. There definitely isn't 6% GDP growth anywhere.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    From personal experience I can tell you that China's economy is in the shitter right now. Nobody is buying anything and everybody is worried about their jobs and mortgages. Large parts of Dongguans industrial areas are ghost towns. There definitely isn't 6% GDP growth anywhere.
    Who knows what the GDP figures have ever been .

Haven't been into the mainland since I retired so no personal knowledge. I don't believe 6% but I don't believe collapse either. If there is no money where are all the Chinese tourists coming from?

My eldest brother inlaw lives in and owns property in Shenzhen, he says that the property market has turned to poo for him, thanks to desperate developers discounting excess apartment stock and the government building heaps of public housing which has mullerd the property market where he is. The cracks are starting to appear. Manufacturing has stalled too due to a lot of international unease about the trade war which I was once told by an engineering professor about 5 years ago, that his future prediction would be, an engineering and manufacturing renaissance in America and the west as China becomes less and less attractive to deal with corporately. seems he was generally right and I agreed with a lot of the points he made. It's starting to achieve fruition now.

I also heard that you'll likely see a lot more western manufacturing development in south America as some parts of Asia are deemed less malleable or attractive. But I think you'll find in the interim, places like Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam will forge ahead as better growth environment opportunities and Brazil - Mexico likely to be better utilized where large scale manufacturing applies.

If you have ever read the book, Beijing Jeep, which was written 3 decades ago, it shines a light on just how much of a pain in the arse it was/is to do business in China and the squeeze you dry biz agenda that exists ( intellectually and financially ) which hasn't got any simpler/better today. The present trade war the trump government has initialised, should motivate majority of big biz to upstilts and produce their ' consumer stuff ' elsewhere, or even in part back home. China screwed the pooch as they say, now very much in the, too hard basket for any sensible biz to entertain.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-06-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

apologies if posted already

Gordon Wu openly admits the mainland doesn't need the extradition law bill to grab people from Hong Kong

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20190703.htm

It's hard to have an accurate gauge of how the real Chinese economy is doing, one because a lot of the data and indicators aren't available or of uncertain reliability and second, people have agendas from opposing sides, those in China have an interest to say their economy is doing great despite the trade war while the Trump people will say China is doing horribly. I tend to be wary of both sides, since I don't really trust either.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27