Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree12Likes

Police: Do they have rights to search your phone?

I'm pretty sure if I ever travel to the land of the free, I'll use either a dumb phone or a wiped clean one...I can restore the backups after I pass all the immigration checks. Over encrypted VPN, preferably... Not like I'll be going soon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    I'm pretty sure if I ever travel to the land of the free, I'll use either a dumb phone or a wiped clean one...I can restore the backups after I pass all the immigration checks. Over encrypted VPN, preferably... Not like I'll be going soon anyway.
    What about Australia and the other countries?

If you are on Android you can just log out of your Google account. That should prevent anyone from seeing your photos or accessing your emails, even with the phone unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    What about Australia and the other countries?
    Yeah...specially countries of the Five Eyes. But I haven't heard of any other customs officials asking you to unlock the phone so they can take it and dump its complete contents without your supervision. I can't understand why it is illegal in the US to ransack someone's home in the search for proof of any crime without a warrant, but somehow checking your phone in the same manner (which could be argued to be even more private) isn't.
    Last edited by timonoj; 27-06-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Except of course NSA - they have a backdoor to google as per Snowden.
    Not clear if they share it with homeland security - the ones in the airport are not the brightest.

Strut around with their kevlar vests and armed with guns and knives. When what they really need are more office types that can peck away at a keyboard with more than two fingers.

Last time I entered US I was singled out and had to wait in their special security zone for 3 hours. They didn't check my phones though - I had 3 with me and a laptop.

Would it work to put your phone in your checkin luggage and just carry another (almost empty) phone with you through immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by Sith
    Would it work to put your phone in your checkin luggage and just carry another (almost empty) phone with you through immigration?
    You shoulnd't carry batteries on your checked luggage...

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    You shoulnd't carry batteries on your checked luggage...
    Batteries contained inside a device are fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3