Like Tree158Likes

2019 District Council Elections

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark
    OK - may I have some help on please on this.
    I've got my PR. I'm registered. I intend to cast a vote. But I've now got loads of questions.

I've had a look at the list of candidates that have been nominated so far in my district (Wan Chai) in the link below. Only one nomination in my constituency (Tai Hang): a Mr Liu Tin-Shing.

So how does the election work? -From my reading of the rules, I can only vote for one candidate within Tai Hang constituency, is that right?
    If so, and if Mr Liu remains uncontested, then that means I don't get a choice, do I?

Second question - I can only find a couple of links to Mr Liu, both in Chinese. He's registered as Independent. I can't seem to get a good read on him except for the Chinese Wikipedia page which I can't get a good translation... but he seems to be pro-Beijing, right?

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BB...B7%BB%E8%AA%A0
    Where is the list of candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Where is the list of candidates
    Link below. Note that the cut off for candidate nominations is 17 October, so the list is not yet final.

https://www.elections.gov.hk/dc2019/eng/nominat2.html

Hmm just two independents in my area so far, i see the nomination period is open until 17/10 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Hmm just two independents in my area so far, i see the nomination period is open until 17/10 though.
    Just be mindful that the United Front has always fielded some of their candidates as nominally independent, especially in districts they don't control, so unless you absolutely know the candidate or platform it's worth doing a little vetting when the final list is out.

This time around with the general public being "a little suspicious" of the pro-regime organizations they can be expected to resort to undercover tactics on an even larger scale. On the other hand there just might be an endless supply of young people willing to "de-mask" party plants masquerading as independents.

In fact in a time like this it's hard to imagine anyone truly remaining a fence-sitter. One is either pro-regime or pro-democracy.

Would someone be kind enough to start a thread that could possibly have the Geo community vet candidates in different districts?

Paxbritannia likes this.

Civil Servant started one the other day (think it was called "Crushing dissent through the ballot box")

Coolboy and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzmatazz
    Would someone be kind enough to start a thread that could possibly have the Geo community vet candidates in different districts?
    why not do it yourself?

Mefisto likes this.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast