Like Tree1187Likes

08/19 - August Protests & Related News

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland

    Today was a warning shot over the bows
    Really? Today was a huge "fuck you" to the protesters and everyone who isn't a shoeshiner.
    DrWho likes this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    585

    [deleted]


  3. #33

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    As the previous poster said almost none of the campaigns in the past would have succeeded without social disruption. Can you name one?
    I could name several that Ghandi instigated. I could also cite the biggest demonstration HK has seen as being the most effective in gaining local and global support.

    From the pompous one! apologies if thats how I came across

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,613
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    As the previous poster said almost none of the campaigns in the past would have succeeded without social disruption. Can you name one?
    Please name a campaign that 'succeeded' because of social disruption. Are you conflating civil disobedience with social disruption. I don't think Gandhi ever did.

    Please explain to me how forcing a poor person not be able to go to work or a family to miss their holiday flight win support for a cause?

    Does shutting down the city's transport get the message more noticed?
    Is it intended to people angry at the gov't?

    Really, I don't understand, what is the logic of the forced inconveniencing (and actually harming) the lives of millions of people, many of whom actually support the cause?
    nivek2046, tf19 and Viktri like this.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    585

    Hong Kong government unlikely to change its mind on inquiry into extradition bill

    -People close to Chief Executive Carrie Lams administration exploring possibility of independent inquiry
    -But police are strongly opposed to prospect and Beijing is not yet pushing for one

    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...hange-its-mind


  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046
    Hong Kong government unlikely to change its mind on inquiry into extradition bill clashes, sources tell Post

    -People close to Chief Executive Carrie Lams administration exploring possibility of independent inquiry
    -But police are strongly opposed to prospect and Beijing is not yet pushing for one

    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...hange-its-mind
    Then that will be a guarantee for the protest to continue. Lam is making one mistake after another. She thinks this is like Occupy when things will gradually died down and fade away. But this is different. Things are escalating, not de-escalating.
    DrWho likes this.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,114
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Please name a campaign that 'succeeded' because of social disruption. Are you conflating civil disobedience with social disruption. I don't think Gandhi ever did.

    Please explain to me how forcing a poor person not be able to go to work or a family to miss their holiday flight win support for a cause?

    Does shutting down the city's transport get the message more noticed?
    Is it intended to people angry at the gov't?

    Really, I don't understand, what is the logic of the forced inconveniencing (and actually harming) the lives of millions of people, many of whom actually support the cause?
    So you don't think the MTR drivers and/or air traffic control going on strike would add pressure? All successful strikes are based on the social disruption they cause.

    Solidarity in Poland used the threat of a general strike to gain change.

    The Suffragettes used extreme tactics (cutting telegraph lines, setting fire to packed theatres, etc).

    The tactics used by the IRA were intended to cause maximum social disruption either through bombs or the more common false bomb threats. Also blocking roads, hijacking buses.

    Was there no social disruption in South Africa?
    Coolboy and DrWho like this.

  8. #38

  9. #39

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,258

  10. #40

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    5,241

    But the government has already responded to their demands anyway...
    https://twitter.com/rthk_enews/statu...026116608?s=21


Closed Thread
Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast