Like Tree74Likes

29/07/19 - Liaison Office Press Conference

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    There is one thing I just heard that might be a little interesting (assuming my mandarin understanding is correct). The spokesperson implies HK government should solve youth problem in housing, education and employment. Hmmm... this is the first time I heard the central government mention this.
    just means we support curry lamb to build new island in ocean and support belt, road, GBA, blah blah blah
    Coolboy, Skyhook, Mefisto and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    just means we support curry lamb to build new island in ocean and support belt, road, GBA, blah blah blah
    Surely you aren't expecting them to announce her resignation? That's not Beijing's style, like I said.

Now will she leave quietly for "personal reason" later, quite possible. But right now? Unlikely.

how can Beijing help with the housing problem in Hong Kong? i don't understand.

Now a HK journalist is asking about the Yuen Long white shirt attack and whether Beijing supports independent inquiry. Have to use 110% of my mandarin comprehension here.

They could stop issuing one way permits, which they wont do though.

three local guys crossed the border HK to China to attend a family gathering, all phones opened, copied and belongings searched for no reason, seems to confirm someone else mentioned this happening recently

Ok, if I understand correctly (and anyone feel free to step in if I miss something, no doubt my mandarin is far from perfect), the spokeperson sidestep the independent inquiry question by saying the priority right now is "law enforcement"....

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Ok, if I understand correctly (and anyone feel free to step in if I miss something, no doubt my mandarin is far from perfect), the spokeperson sidestep the independent inquiry question by saying the priority right now is "law enforcement"....
    I think that is the way Beijing saying there will not be any independent commission--just my interpretation.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    You might be expecting a little too much. Beijing does not like to whip out unexpected statements. Their job right now is to, in their view, calm the situation, not to stir it up further. Although whether the press conference will have the intended effect they want is rather open to question.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    They could stop issuing one way permits, which they wont do though.
    I've mentioned this once in the past but a large portion of these are to re-unite families, i.e. HK residents with mainland spouse.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast