Like Tree177Likes

Is it time to leave?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

This is the heads-up that the PLA are coming soon. And if the protesters are dumb enough to close down a hospital, they better not be surprised or hope the international community will care.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3022438/beijing-warns-signs-terrorism-violent-unrest-hong-kong

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    Tourists rarely pay rent or buy property here. If they do chances are they no longer are tourists. Even disregarding that, most of the workers in retail/restaurant industry would not be able to afford properties even if the prices halve.
    So, what's your point? High rent is good?

Tsim Sha Tsui has also seen a significant drop in the number of tourists. If continues, and means that some of the jewellery shops, drug stores, and luxury good stores close down, not many tears from me. If it makes the landlords reduce rent and that normal shops and restaurants for local Hong Kong people can open in Tsim Sha Tsui even better. There will still be jobs for retail and restaurant workers - the ones who suffer are the landlords and listed companies behind the large stores.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I don't own property in HK so not really worried about economic impact (hey, maybe rent will drop off a bit, renewal coming up 1 November...).

Not worried about personal safety (avoid hot spots on weekends and at night). I figure even if the PLA marches in and declares martial law a la Tiananmen square, I could still survive- unless all the foreigners are ordered to leave and doubt that would happen. It would suck and business would likely drop off and other horrible consequences but I don't think my safety is at issue.

And if my safety isn't an issue, then no need to leave, there is nothing better waiting for me back in the US.

I may still end up in Taipei, but that would be a business decision, made long before the protests started.
    Taipei is still iffy…apparently there's an increase presence of PLA navy but at least TW got a military and maybe US got their back too if worst comes to worst
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    or take a train into China and fly out from any of the airport hubs
    Who has time to muck about with China visa
    Elegiaque likes this.

Great scene. Everything is good, until its not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXmAwU9slFo

shri likes this.

Every event that is happening now in relation to protests is the result of past events.

The Butterfly Effect
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2xFJUSLEv8

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    So, what's your point? High rent is good?

Tsim Sha Tsui has also seen a significant drop in the number of tourists. If continues, and means that some of the jewellery shops, drug stores, and luxury good stores close down, not many tears from me. If it makes the landlords reduce rent and that normal shops and restaurants for local Hong Kong people can open in Tsim Sha Tsui even better. There will still be jobs for retail and restaurant workers - the ones who suffer are the landlords and listed companies behind the large stores.
    Lol my point is that I don’t think it will work out the way you think it will. A moot argument anyway, circle this on the calendar a year later and see then. Hey you may even be right.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Great scene. Everything is good, until its not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXmAwU9slFo
    That movie is fucking haunting. I lived in Shanghai and knowing how it went from opulent (to use the word Christian Bale's character chose to describe his home life) to a fractured hellscape has always stuck with me.
    shri, hullexile, Jackie1 and 1 others like this.

Sure, opulent for the French, Americans and British who carved up the concessions, monopolized the godowns along the port and forced the sale of opium to deaden the public. Not so opulent for them. All of these unequal treaties in ports along the coast, including HK, is why Beijing takes the hard line it does today. They teach these great humiliations to billions of students in primary school and vow never to let it happen again and then we are shocked when they stand up to foreign powers or internal threats. I sympathise with the young people but hope they pack it in before they become statistics, as this doesn't end well if protests continue to spiral out of control.

GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    All of these unequal treaties in ports along the coast, including HK, is why Beijing takes the hard line it does today. They teach these great humiliations to billions of students in primary school and vow never to let it happen again stoking nationalism and again blaming foreigners for the countries ills
    Corrected it for you
    Jackie1 and jimbo_jones like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast