Like Tree273Likes

Cathay Pacific & Swire - Under Pressure...

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Guess it is still better to have the HK government as shareholder than Air China ...

https://www.ft.com/content/871f0c78-ae93-4a7a-8c70-14e17d307f69
    Having the HK government do Beijing's bidding rather than Air China would be a smarter move on Beijing's part. Making CX an official part of a mainland state-owned enterprise would make CX liable to potential US sanctions if CX is seen as an accomplice in violating HK's autonomy in any way.

Of course, I suppose US can see no real distinction in the move. The HK government after all does Beijing's bidding without question. So for all intents and purpose, the HKSAR government is merely an extension of Beijing's central government in Washington's eyes, hence there is no difference between an Air China takeover and a government bailout in terms of how CX's idenity and status is viewed abroad.

Thanks for that laugh . Communism in one paragraph.

“[Though] facing great difficulties,” Air China said, “the group firmly implemented the spirit of the important instructions of General Secretary Xi Jinping and resolutely carried out the decisions and arrangements of the Central Committee of the Party and the State Council.”

jrkob, Mefisto and Paxbritannia like this.

Now HK Airlines is asking for a bailout as well, after watching how CX was saved:

https://www.scmp.com/business/article/3089506/hong-kong-airlines-kept-alive-funds-chinese-lenders-calls-government

What will the response from the HK government be?

Skyhook likes this.

Cathay canceled my October flight to Washington, DC. Handy because I had decided not to go, this way, I get the refund (got it processed right away, while they still have the money to refund to me...). Pretty sure they are going to ax the route to DC, planes were never full probably did not make money...not a problem any more, mother moved to Myrtle Beach, SC so no one left to go visit.