View Poll Results: What structure should HK follow?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent (like Taiwan)

20 34.48%
  • Follow 1C2S (existing)

27 46.55%
  • Become another city of China (like Shanghai)

6 10.34%
  • Returned to UK

5 8.62%
Like Tree655Likes

Protest: Random Opinions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    What was gained by the peaceful demonstration?
    cookie09 and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Lol, you are off your rocker. HK already has way more lobbying than the US will ever have, with the added bonus of the lobbyist's being the only ones allowed to vote. HK also isn't free, which you will notice when trying to establish a business in any of the areas covered by functional constituencies. Or when you get fired on Beijing's orders for participating in a protest.
    HK is number one in the world for crony capitalism, people living in cage homes and sky high income inequality.
    It's a nice place to live in for us expats, who are probably in the top 2%, but for most locals it must truly suck.
    All of my friends here are locals, mostly from my partner. We go out in gatherings of 50-100 people, no one that I met (local) shares your views.

Expats are not in the top 2% either. Most expats are in low level jobs purely for face purposes. Or middle management at companies. A lot of the true wealth here are Chinese. There are exceptions for long term expats who have a portfolio of properties here in HK.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't think anyone sensible thought the US system was ideal or perfect. No system is.

You perception of the 'freedom' of Hong Kong is I think largely based on your privileged position. You can do what you like, go where you want. Life is good.
    What privileged position? Most of us here can't afford an apartment here either. You don't see us try to screw up everyone else's life. We just try to work harder.
    Happy Guy likes this.

What was gained by the peaceful demonstration?
    World recognition and the suspension of the bill. What had been gained since?
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    What privileged position? Most of us here can't afford an apartment here either. You don't see us try to screw up everyone else's life. We just try to work harder.
    I was talking to MandM!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    World recognition and the suspension of the bill. What had been gained since?
    Carrie herself said the suspension was a result of the violence not the peaceful protests.

Hongkongers had tried 22 years of peaceful protests.

Economically, Hong Kong has become the undisputed king of crony capitalism.

Politically, there is rapid acceleration of Mainlandisation.

mrgoodkat and Coolboy like this.

Original Post Deleted
    If I am wrong on that OK but I pretty sure there were the two massive peaceful demonstrations with the midweek one which got a bit heavier. Didn't she then cite the midweek one as making her rethink? I am going from memory so open to correction.

If I am wrong on that OK.
    Perhaps you can stop calling for violence being more effective then.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 17-08-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Perhaps you can stop calling for violence being more effective then.
    So you are saying that Carrie Lam did not totally ignore the peaceful demonstrations but remarked on the more violent ones before suspending the bill? I have a memory of that but then I am a senior citizen so the memory is not what it was.

You are saying that international coverage has not increased dramatically with the tear gas and beatings? That the use of triads did not magnify international coverage?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast