Like Tree124Likes

British Consulate staff member, vanished

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Yes, I am sure there was probable cause to arrest all the people in Xianjiang- oh wait, they weren't even arrested, just taken away in the middle of the night, including little kids going to reeducation kindergartens.
    Education! Not detention, ha ha ha. See, where all so happy with a good education. Otherwise, we're all just happily helping out with investigations. Nothing to see here!

Quote Originally Posted by junichitsuyo

According to the paper, which is reputable, he is being detained as there was probable cause he broke some law. Enough said. Whether you agree with the law, whatever it is we dont know, or not -- its the law over there. It may not be the law in Great Britan but that doesn't nullify their law. I think that is the real issue. Do you wish to comply with the laws of a foreign country or do you believe you are above their laws or your home coutry's laws trump those of the foreign country.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    It may not be the law in Great Britan but that doesn't nullify their law.
    What law? I didn't read anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    What law? I didn't read anything about that.
    According to local media, he violated the "Public Security Administration Punishment Law of the People's Republic of China"

https://www.cecc.gov/resources/legal...w-chinese-text

Previously, China detained two Canadians, one a former diplomat.

Now they have detained one UK consulate staffer.

Will Australian be next?

Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.

I knew they would say something like this lol

“I also want to stress that this worker is a Hong Kong citizen – not a British citizen – and he is Chinese. And this is entirely an internal matter of China.”

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    Maybe Britain has upset China, and China has decided to teach the UK a lesson by detaining one of their consular staff on bogus charges.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast