Like Tree124Likes

British Consulate staff member, vanished

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

“I also want to stress that this worker is a Hong Kong citizen – not a British citizen – and he is Chinese. And this is entirely an internal matter of China.”
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I knew they would say something like this lol

That was the "Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang".

But I thought there was only Chinese citizens, not Hong Kong citizens! Maybe Geng Shuang is calling for Hong Kong to be free!

OK, but what did he DO? Usually when reporting on a crime, the police/prosecutor say what the person is alleged to have done, not what statute he broke.

Probably had WhatsApp on his phone, 15 days sounds about right for that kind of vile criminal activity.

I am SO bringing a shiny clean phone next time I go to Shenzhen...lord alone knows the penalties in China for what I have said just on GeoExpat...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I am SO bringing a shiny clean phone next time I go to Shenzhen...lord alone knows the penalties in China for what I have said just on GeoExpat...
    Aren't you a lawyer, you'll get arrested for being a foriegn spy.

I'm an AMERICAN lawyer, even worse...although they seem to be sucking up to Trump so maybe I am OK.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I'm an AMERICAN lawyer, even worse...although they seem to be sucking up to Trump so maybe I am OK.
    They haven't detained any american citizens lately so there you go...
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    Are you guessing what happened as well? Everyone else is guessing too. Just based on what China has done before.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Are you guessing what happened as well? Everyone else is guessing too. Just based on what China has done before.
    Obviously the transcripts of the court will come out in due course giving a reasoned opinion of why it reached the verdict based on the evidence and cases made on each side.

Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    According to the World Justice Project the following areas that seem pertinent to this case China's ranking out of 126 countries in the index

Constraints on Government Powers 119
    Fundamental Rights 121

The report suggest the government doesn't offer any rights to the people and there are no checks on what it does. You could be right that he committed a crime and due process has been followed but it would be an anomaly.

What?? Who on these forums expects the rules of their home country to apply when travelling to other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Why would he ask whoever to pray for him going through the border?
    Given the current irrationality of the government in China and the UK's Foreign Secretary directly calling Ms Lam I would expect the consulate had issued a warning to all staffers to be cautious especially when travelling to China.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    He is a British Consulate staff member and he spells "border" as "boarder"?
    I think he was just jumping ahead of himself knowing he could become a boarder at the pleasure of the Emperor
    hullexile and eIIe like this.