Like Tree57Likes

How HK looks from the outside...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Is it my imagination or has there been a reduction in the "moving to Hong Kong, where to live?" type posts recently?
    Summer moving season is almost over - schools have started.
    hullexile and MandM! like this.

Original Post Deleted
    They are certainly finding it hard to convey their message when they do not have total control. That's the problem with an authoritarian system, their propaganda departments just don't know how to convey a credible and convincing message to an audience with little government control over media. Mainland's message is not based on reason molded by the fire of a free press. This is why China, despite it's long history and rich tradition of culture and arts, punches way belong it's weight in terms of soft power.

That being said, HK is not simply about international image now, it's also about very real access to capital and economic interest. Many Mainland officials, business people and powerful family members park their money in HK so that they can have security in moving their money around, unlike on the Mainland. It is their most accessible place to move their capital out. Remove one country two systems and getting capital out of China becomes much harder. Also, despite the city's diminished status in terms of GDP portion of China, it is still highly relevant for mainland companies to raise foreign capital and for foreign companies to based in the city because of it's relative transparency and rule of law (although even that last two advantages is now being thrown in doubt, I suppose).

I had a client conference call after the day of the general strike.

I told them that things were absolute chaos with some people coming in up to five minutes late to the office.

hullexile, shri, MandM! and 1 others like this.

too soon to discuss who benefits the most from HK's downfall?

"Could just be a joke, private banking department of some Japanese banks have started nudging their clients to overweight Singaporean stocks"

ä½™è«‡ã ãŒã€é‡‘èžç »æƒ…å ±ç­‹ã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ã¨ ã€ä¸€éƒ¨æ—¥æœ¬ã®é‡‘è æ©Ÿé–¢ã®ãƒ—ãƒ©ã‚¤ãƒ™ ƒ¼ãƒˆãƒãƒ³ã‚¯éƒ¨é–€ã‚ ã™ã§ã«ã€æ—¥æœ¬äººå Œè£•å±¤é¡§å®¢ã«ã‚·ãƒ³ã ¬ãƒãƒ¼ãƒ«è¨¼åˆ¸å–å¼•æ ‰€ã®éŠ˜æŸ„を推奨だ始め、ポートフ㠂©ãƒªã‚ªã®èª¿æ•´ã«ä¹— り出していると㠁„う
    香港騒動、最大㠁®å—益者がシン゠¬ãƒãƒ¼ãƒ«ã§ã‚るワ㠱 香港はどこへ行く 、金の卵を産む ãƒ‹ãƒ¯ãƒˆãƒªã®é€ƒã’æ– ¹ - 立花 聡 (エリス・コン゠µãƒ«ãƒ†ã‚£ãƒ³ã‚°ä»£è¡¨ã »æ³•å­¦åšå£«ï¼‰
    https://blogos.com/article/399550/

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    I had a client conference call after the day of the general strike.

I told them that things were absolute chaos with some people coming in up to five minutes late to the office.
    Sounds like some people need to be summarily dismissed for that!!

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    In the past month alone, I've had 3 highly qualified job candidates from other countries (Taiwan, Korea, UK) drop out of the hiring queue as they are concerned about relocating to Hong Kong.
    That's impossible. There are no opportunities here. Haven't you heard the students?
    Jaz Paul and MandM! like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I read that post with more than a little sarcasm in it. Am I wrong?
    Skyhook likes this.

Not enough opportunities because we should bash company owners in the head until they pay more and increase manpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I read that post with more than a little sarcasm in it. Am I wrong?
    Doesn't matter if there was sarcasm or not- the disingenuous intent of c_s has been pretty clearly demonstrated of late, to enough people I believe, that post #28 is still largely correct.

You can imagine how it looks, when my long-lost cousins in India are 'worried' about my welfare