Like Tree7Likes

Agnes Chow - By Election Related Verdict

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,667

    Agnes Chow - By Election Related Verdict

    Published on the Judiciary Website:

    While the case is in her favor, it does invalidate Au Nok-Hin's election.

    Waiting for an editorial summary from one of the newspapers.

    https://legalref.judiciary.hk/lrs/co...063&currpage=T


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Published on the Judiciary Website:

    While the case is in her favor, it does invalidate Au Nok-Hin's election.

    Waiting for an editorial summary from one of the newspapers.

    https://legalref.judiciary.hk/lrs/co...063&currpage=T
    So that legco spot will remain empty until the next election? I can't imagine the government is too keen on letting a pro-democrat win.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,901
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ist-agnes-chow

    Good news I think. Nice to see the courts side with common sense.
    Jackie1, jrkob and junichitsuyo like this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,875

    So is Au Nok Hin no longer a sitting LegCo member?


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,667
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    So is Au Nok Hin no longer a sitting LegCo member?
    Not sure when this comes into effect.

    43. For the foregoing reasons, I allow the Election Petition, and declare that (i) Au Nok Hin was not duly elected as a member of the Legislative Council for the Hong Kong Island Geographical Constituency as stated in the Notice of Result of Election published in the Gazette on 12 March 2018, and (ii) neither the Petitioner nor any of the candidates standing in the By-election was duly elected in his place.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,875

    If a by election does take place, it’ll be a good indication of public opinion.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    136

    Both have pending criminal cases, could either be put on a ballot?


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,667
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    If a by election does take place, it’ll be a good indication of public opinion.
    District Council elections in a couple of months.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ist-agnes-chow

    Good news I think. Nice to see the courts side with common sense.
    Unfortunately the judgment only seems to say they need to give the right of reply before the returning officer continues to disqualify her based on their discretion. Quite similar to duly conducting a consultation before ramming through whatever they want to do. The judiciary can only focus on whether procedure is followed, not the sensibility of the process.

    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/09/0...chow-election/
    TheBrit, MatthieuTofu and Stu79 like this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,875

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast